Sign in to follow this  
Lynettes

silica carbide and lava glazes

Lynettes    0

I would like to make a lava glaze that fires to cone 9. I would appreciate some advice. Can I use any glaze and add some silica carbide ( how much)? I have seen amy lava glazes for up to cone 6, but not above that.

Thanks in advance.

Lynette

Lynettes    0

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's a definite maybe.

iirc i tried amounts less than 1% with a volcanic ash base at ^8-9 in oxidation. the result was more sponge toffee than lava.

apparently particle size can seriously affect the outcome

*from what i read fine particle size can encourage localised reduction but i put silicon carbide down at sponge toffee.

I realized after I asked this question, that, it will not work with any glaze, because I have used it tocause localise reduction and that glaze did not crater. Ther must be a certain chemistry that is necessary, but I havn't been able to find much information about high fire crater glazes.

Lynette

Avaviel    0

My teacher obtained it from an industrial type place... something to do with glass.

I'm doing some tests now. We're doing them as an addition to the slip – not the glaze. He recommended an addition of around 6%. In the tests, they range from 2% to 12%. I also did mixes with other glazes, to see what happens.

edit: I found a link to a rock tumbler website, http://rocktumbler.com/grit.shtml They have the type that we used, the coarsest grit.

Avaviel    0

Ok, so I did a few test glazes @ cone 10 with a cratering slip. It didn't do anything, as a slip or a glaze... in any of the tests. This particular example was dipped in slip that had the SC, bisqued, and then glazed.

I have a feeling that we had the wrong material, though. I'll find out the next time I'm at school.

8274108860_b3fb2e96df_n.jpg

Ceramics by avaviel, on Flickr