Things have gone down the tubes for my husband's job. He does video production, has his own camera gear that he can actually sell for some cash. (Start up)

I have enough equipment for a complete pottery studio including a bigass down draft kiln.

We want to move to North Carolina near Durham where our best friends live. This be the first time in my life as a potter where I would actually be a potter instead of the mom thing. My daughter was an athlete and it cost us almost everything to get her where she wanted to be. She ended up at the Olympics and is now at Duke on a full scholarship. That is why we don't want it too close. No smother mother stuff.

So the question is, should I try to find a partner who has space but not equipment?

Find a potter who wants out?

Just a space?

It would be interesting to have a place for visitors who want coffee or lunch. I have another friend who would like to do that part.

It would be amazing to have different people running different parts of the business.

Any ideas? Locations? Etc.?

Beth

Things have gone down the tubes for my husband's job. He does video production, has his own camera gear that he can actually sell for some cash. (Start up)

I have enough equipment for a complete pottery studio including a bigass down draft kiln.

We want to move to North Carolina near Durham where our best friends live. This be the first time in my life as a potter where I would actually be a potter instead of the mom thing. My daughter was an athlete and it cost us almost everything to get her where she wanted to be. She ended up at the Olympics and is now at Duke on a full scholarship. That is why we don't want it too close. No smother mother stuff.

So the question is, should I try to find a partner who has space but not equipment?

Find a potter who wants out?

Just a space?

It would be interesting to have a place for visitors who want coffee or lunch. I have another friend who would like to do that part.

It would be amazing to have different people running different parts of the business.

Any ideas? Locations? Etc.?

Beth

Well, NC is a good place for a potter to move. If it were me (and in a way it is), I would ease into the pottery community by taking classes and workshops. That way you get a feel for what is going on in your area. I live in the Greensboro area and am taking classes, and Most of the people in my class are what I call professionals. They have their own studios- they just come to get out of their own studio. It is a good way for them to share what is working and what is not.

Seagrove is a small community of potteries- just down the road from Durham- pretty much the Mecca of potters. Asheville is another huge pottery community- on the other side of the state, though. LOTS of traffic- not cars, but people coming for the arts and crafts.

I love your idea- it sounds like Seagrove. My personal aspiration is something like that, and it will include etsy- or something like- as well as plenty of shows.

BTW-not to burst your bubble, but the taxes here are CRAZY!

good luck and take care!

Archived