#1 HAUKSBEE

HAUKSBEE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWestport, Massachusetts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

I threw eight or so porcelain bowls the other day. Two of them developed cracks in the lower part. I wondered: why just two out of the eight? The clay was wedged up at the same time. The cracks look rather like S-cracks that occasionally happen at the bottom of vessels. But I've never seen them this high. Any thoughts on what causes this?

Attached Files

#2 Matt Katz

Matt Katz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAlfred, New York

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

I threw eight or so porcelain bowls the other day. Two of them developed cracks in the lower part. I wondered: why just two out of the eight? The clay was wedged up at the same time. The cracks look rather like S-cracks that occasionally happen at the bottom of vessels. But I've never seen them this high. Any thoughts on what causes this?

All cracking is caused by inconsistencies in drying, but the failure itself is most likely occurs at a point of inconsistent mixing in the body. All failures are caused by poor mixing, poor composition or both.

#3 HAUKSBEE

HAUKSBEE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWestport, Massachusetts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

All cracking is caused by inconsistencies in drying, but the failure itself is most likely occurs at a point of inconsistent mixing in the body. All failures are caused by poor mixing, poor composition or both.

OK. Admittedly, the wall above, and the floor below, were thinner and the area of cracks didn't get trimmed down as much as I would wish. Just thought I'd ask since I'd never seen cracking like that before. Thanks much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users