Pit firing safety information

Hi, I'm a ceramics student. While my school is out for the summer I figured I could use some of my free time to mess around with pit firings since I won't have a kiln at home. We only ever did pit firing when I was in high school and we never really had a good variation of color. Since then I've done alot of reading on the topic and I think I have a general grasp of the processes that produce certain colors and what to use. My problem is that I'm concerned with some of the potential byproducts of certain colorants and I can't really find any good info on exposure and safety on the internet. Since I'm going to be doing this outside in the backyard I'd hate to be exposing myself or my neighbors to anything caustic or otherwise dangerous. For instance I've read that burning salt in a firing also produces hydrogen chloride but Idk how much?

If anyone can give me some basic guidelines on what is or isn't safe to burn around people or link me to some more information that would be appreciated. 

That is very kind of you to be concerned about your neighbors, but the amount you would fire is not something to be concerned about. Copper or salt. Don’t stand in front of the smoke. 

The real danger is open fire and containing the fire. Check with fire rules. Have the right kind of gear and water easily available   

Are you barrel firing or actually dug a pit? If you are not sensitive and an adventurer at heart then fire greenware. Otherwise bisque is better. 

Record your process.  It’s a lot of fun.  There’s a great YouTube on an English potter and all the different materials she uses.  I think it might be a goldmark film.  She uses a lot of organic items.  

Archived