Amaco Palladium

ThisIsMelissa

Okey Doke...

I bought some of this stuff last month, but haven't yet taken the plunge.

I've had a couple of glaze issues recently and I want to avoid them in the future, so, since no one where I take classes has ever used this before, I wanted to ask for your experience.

I know, I know, make some test tiles. Got it, but I want to know YOUR personal experience!

The studio I work at glaze fires at cone 6, Oxidation, Electric.

We use a fairly course stoneware clay:

2stw_lg.jpg

I do a lot of hand building, but I've recently started on the wheel.

I'd like to know what your experience with Palladium is like?

Is it like many of the other Amaco pottery glazes that require thick coating(s)?

I'll be brushing it on, and of course, I can be heavy handed if I need to be.

2 heavy coats? 3 heavy coats? more?

And what about the imperfections.... say from handbuilt pieces that dried too fast or slumped in places not planned.... not sure if these pits have a name or not....

I'm kinda hoping that a uniform glaze will help fill those little holes and minor cracks.....

Your thoughts?

Okey Doke...

I bought some of this stuff last month, but haven't yet taken the plunge.

I've had a couple of glaze issues recently and I want to avoid them in the future, so, since no one where I take classes has ever used this before, I wanted to ask for your experience.

I know, I know, make some test tiles. Got it, but I want to know YOUR personal experience!

The studio I work at glaze fires at cone 6, Oxidation, Electric.

We use a fairly course stoneware clay:

2stw_lg.jpg

I do a lot of hand building, but I've recently started on the wheel.

I'd like to know what your experience with Palladium is like?

Is it like many of the other Amaco pottery glazes that require thick coating(s)?

I'll be brushing it on, and of course, I can be heavy handed if I need to be.

2 heavy coats? 3 heavy coats? more?

And what about the imperfections.... say from handbuilt pieces that dried too fast or slumped in places not planned.... not sure if these pits have a name or not....

I'm kinda hoping that a uniform glaze will help fill those little holes and minor cracks.....

Your thoughts?

I've used this glaze a few times now with great success. I buy my glazes in pints and brush all my work since I don't do mass production at this time. I brush on palladium 3 coats nothing really heavy just average and fire to cone 5 no hold, about 7-8 hrs. I'll put attachments of samples i've done. hope this helps. I really enjoy this glaze alot and is a favorite and the people that purchase my work seem to enjoy it. The sculpture is stoneware clay from ceramic school they mix from their own ingrediants and the burner is a domestic porcelain pre packaged from local supplier. Both worked well.

post-6900-132475901662_thumb.jpg

post-6900-13247590397_thumb.jpg

Archived