Test Kilns

I live in a small townhouse and am interested in using an electric test kiln for both bisque and other firings of small hand built and thrown objects. Has/does anyone use one? I would appreciate any feedback and specific information on test kilns, if acceptable for this process.

I use a small test kiln for quick jobs or small test pieces. I don't think mine is particularly accurate but in these cases "close" is good enough.

It is out in the garage and I leave the door open while I am firing it to keep the air circulating.

I would not use mine for anything critical or for utilitarian, functional pieces ... also, it cools too quickly.

My concern with using this in a small townhouse would be adequately venting it outdoors so you don't have the fumes inside ... and also are

not passing them on to the people next door. Besides being smelly, they contain some less than friendly elements.

I use a small test kiln for quick jobs or small test pieces. I don't think mine is particularly accurate but in these cases "close" is good enough.

It is out in the garage and I leave the door open while I am firing it to keep the air circulating.

I would not use mine for anything critical or for utilitarian, functional pieces ... also, it cools too quickly.

My concern with using this in a small townhouse would be adequately venting it outdoors so you don't have the fumes inside ... and also are

not passing them on to the people next door. Besides being smelly, they contain some less than friendly elements.

Thank you for the information, Chris. I was planning to use it in a screened-in porch area so there is adequate ventilation and faces a greenway. However, I do appreciate

the other things that need to be consider. Just trying to figure out a way to use some type of kiln now that we have downsized.

Archived