Project suggestions for upcoming school year

I will be taking a full-year Ceramics 3 course this year as an elective. I am a junior in high school. I originally took Ceramics 1 & 2, both semester courses, last year, and enjoyed them so much that I committed to doing another year. I have done a few workshops this summer and have spent some time at local open studios to improve even out of school. The Ceramics 3 class is very self-motivated. Basically, each person creates a plan of study and creates 6 projects per semester. The projects have to follow some sort of defined path. I primarily make wheel-thrown pieces, and am looking for ideas for projects that I could include in my plan of study. Even suggestions like glazing or finishing technique suggestions would be appreciated. The ceramics program is fairly well equipped for a high school, as we have a large work space, 3 large electric kilns, and a few dozen glazes. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

How about design one basic vessel about 12†tall to be constructed in various techniques such as: hand building, throwing, soft, and/or stiff slab, coil built and pinch pot with different surface colors and textures. You can use sprigging, add a lid with a knob, and add handles. You can use underglaze, overall glazing, burnishing, Raku, or no glaze at all. Use different clays if you have them. But stick to the basic vessel shape.

Write an essay about each vessel and the different construction, glazing, and firing techniques. Also include any books and periodicals you used researching your work.

Archived