Photo

Which artist would you love to work beside in their studio for one week? Provide artists name and why? | Aug. 8, 2011

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

I would like to work with Palissy and help him pull up the floor boards of his home while trying to reach temperature. Such passion!!! He gives Ohr a run for his money as far as carrying on when no one supported his Majolica exploration.
I love his work. Details to the creepy crawly of nature have become more emphasized in my life in deep south Texas since I am surrounded by lizards , turtles, and bugs.
Marcia

#22 Elaine Moreno

Elaine Moreno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationColombia, South America

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

Well, I would love to work one week with Marcela Woolcott, a colombian potter (www.keramos.com.co). Why? One day I was able to go to her studio in Bogota, and I was just delighted watching every piece.
Have a nice week,
Elaine

#23 bev's pottery

bev's pottery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

that's easy - ruth duckworth. once upon a time, i had to write a paper and selected ruth duckworth as my subject.
i related so much to her, i've read everything i could find and have been following her ever since.

#24 Guest_HerbNorris_*

Guest_HerbNorris_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

Santiago Calatrava, without doubt.
I think just to watch him design something and bring it to fruition would be instructive, I really doubt he would learn anything from me, I don't think I would volunteer anything anyhow!
Many of his buildings started as sculptures that he made, and he has also designed and made ceramics, which are on his site.
His sense of line, shape and form is tremendous, I think.
Plus, he can work on many scales and the results are satisfying. He can work on a personal scale, as in his ceramics and sculptures, he can work on a group scale, as in his stage sets for the NYC ballet, or, on a grand and public scale in his architecture.
I'm disappointed that work on his Spire isn't being continued in Chicago, it is just a big hole in the ground. Had it been built, I would have had two of his projects within easy driving distance.

#25 nelsonpots

nelsonpots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:42 PM

You forgot to mention M.C. Richards in your list of who people wanted to be in the studio with.

#26 Alfarera

Alfarera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Kristen Kieffer. Her work is varied yet recognizeable, deliberately planned yet spontaneous, beautiful and functional. So many processes could be learned from her. Plus, from having gone to a Potter's Council workshop and having had the privelege of seeing her demonstrate, she seems to be a patient and genuinely nice person...putting a new potter-to-be at ease. Yes...definitely Kristen Kieffer. :-)

#27 barhaas

barhaas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

I would love to spend any amount of time with Clary Illian in Ely, Iowa. She is so much fun and is a wonderful living legacy, having spent two years as an apprentice with Bernard Leach in England. She is fascinating to listen to, no matter what she is talking about. My hope is that all potters have the chance to meet and spend time with her. Her knowledge and life experiences are priceless. Whenever I drink out of one of her mugs or look at her pots, I can't help but wonder what she was thinking when she created them. Her latest change to using terra cotta clay has been a most intriquing adaptation following a wrist injury--an adaptation filled with whimsy and creativity that is so wonderful--a wonderful testament to the artist that she has always been and always will be...

#28 AGMiller

AGMiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

I would have to say William Shinn. His extrusions inspire and delight me. I have been following his work for many years.

An excellent choice!

I had the honor of assisting Mr. Shinn at a workshop, and his creativity and giving nature are contagious.

It is one of my favorite clay-art memories.

- AGM -

#29 Bohemian Potter

Bohemian Potter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

We can pick Dead people? I prefer the ones who are still breathing. I am hoping that I might still have a chance to bump into them one day. Karen Karnes, Don Reitz, Don Ellis and Randy Brodnax, Greg Brantman. I am thinking it is very hard to pick just one. Had a load of fun and great info from Robin Hopper at a workshop so maybe lean toward him if I have to pick just one.

#30 Zuma

Zuma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

You forgot to mention M.C. Richards in your list of who people wanted to be in the studio with.

Right on!! Zuma

#31 Idaho Potter

Idaho Potter

Learning all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

I would like to shae some time and space with Vince Pitelka. Not sure a week would be enough. His book CLAY: a Studio Handbook is so well written and informative that it seems time with him would be the same. His hand built vessels are meticulous in design and decoration. As much as I enjoy handbuilding, I think not much actual work would be done because I would spend the time discussing his philosophy of clay. I'll never be able to afford one of his workshops, but I can dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users