Which artist would you love to work beside in their studio for one week? Provide artists name and why? | Aug. 8, 2011

Kristen Kieffer. Her work is varied yet recognizeable, deliberately planned yet spontaneous, beautiful and functional. So many processes could be learned from her. Plus, from having gone to a Potter's Council workshop and having had the privelege of seeing her demonstrate, she seems to be a patient and genuinely nice person...putting a new potter-to-be at ease. Yes...definitely Kristen Kieffer. :-)

I would love to spend any amount of time with Clary Illian in Ely, Iowa. She is so much fun and is a wonderful living legacy, having spent two years as an apprentice with Bernard Leach in England. She is fascinating to listen to, no matter what she is talking about. My hope is that all potters have the chance to meet and spend time with her. Her knowledge and life experiences are priceless. Whenever I drink out of one of her mugs or look at her pots, I can't help but wonder what she was thinking when she created them. Her latest change to using terra cotta clay has been a most intriquing adaptation following a wrist injury--an adaptation filled with whimsy and creativity that is so wonderful--a wonderful testament to the artist that she has always been and always will be...

I would have to say William Shinn. His extrusions inspire and delight me. I have been following his work for many years.

An excellent choice!

I had the honor of assisting Mr. Shinn at a workshop, and his creativity and giving nature are contagious.

It is one of my favorite clay-art memories.

- AGM -

We can pick Dead people? I prefer the ones who are still breathing. I am hoping that I might still have a chance to bump into them one day. Karen Karnes, Don Reitz, Don Ellis and Randy Brodnax, Greg Brantman. I am thinking it is very hard to pick just one. Had a load of fun and great info from Robin Hopper at a workshop so maybe lean toward him if I have to pick just one.

I would like to shae some time and space with Vince Pitelka. Not sure a week would be enough. His book CLAY: a Studio Handbook is so well written and informative that it seems time with him would be the same. His hand built vessels are meticulous in design and decoration. As much as I enjoy handbuilding, I think not much actual work would be done because I would spend the time discussing his philosophy of clay. I'll never be able to afford one of his workshops, but I can dream.

Archived