What Does "properly Matured 04 Bisque Mean?

I've never used a glaze on top of my underglaze finishes, and I'm suddenly unsure about the bottle directions. I have some Amaco LM Series Matt Liquid Glaze, and the bottle instructs me to apply it to "properly matured cone 04 bisque". My clay matures between cones 2 and 6, so my intention was to fire it to cone 2 and then glaze it. I have a glaze that fires to cone 05 and one that fires to cone 5. Can I use either of those to finish the piece, considering that it has to be fired to at least cone 2 at some point? It would be really nice not to have to fire to cone 5, but I'm not sure if either glaze would adhere to a clay that had been fired to cone 2 already.

I've never used a glaze on top of my underglaze finishes, and I'm suddenly unsure about the bottle directions. I have some Amaco LM Series Matt Liquid Glaze, and the bottle instructs me to apply it to "properly matured cone 04 bisque". My clay matures between cones 2 and 6, so my intention was to fire it to cone 2 and then glaze it. I have a glaze that fires to cone 05 and one that fires to cone 5. Can I use either of those to finish the piece, considering that it has to be fired to at least cone 2 at some point? It would be really nice not to have to fire to cone 5, but I'm not sure if either glaze would adhere to a clay that had been fired to cone 2 already.

What is the recommended bisque temperature for your clay? Cone 2 to cone 6 is the maturation range. What does your clay manufacturer say about the bisque temperature?

You can do a simple test on an unglazed area of your clay fired at cone 2. Put a drop of water on an area and if the water does not absorb into the clay but sits on the top of the surface the clay has fired too hard to accept glaze. If the water appears to ‘sort a’ sink in but it spreads out on the surface and is still visible, your clay may still be too hard to accept glaze. However, if the water is readily absorbed, it is probably okay to glaze. Testing is called for.

As for the term 'properly matured 04 bisque', Amaco is the only place to get the answer. So it is best to address your glaze technical question to Amaco’s technical division-LJenkins@amaco.com

Archived