Looking For A Source For Scale For Glazemaking...

I'm returning to ceramics after a hiatus and need to re-build a studio from scratch. Can anyone point me to a good source for scales, either beam or digital? Thanks.

I've used an Ohaus triple beam scale for 25 years, it's very good for small quantities when mixing test batches. It measures up to 2.6 kg which means that large amounts need to be split into a number of batches. It is easy to zero out for the weight of containers.

Hope this helps,

Mudlark

Guest JBaymore

Just about every ceramics supplier has triple beam balances and most have digital scales too. If you don't end up selling it.... and take care of it...... a triple beam is pretty much a lifetime investment. I've been using my same OHaus for about 37 years.

Ebay and Google is your friend these days. Shop around.

Remember the potential issue of the resolution of a scale relative to the size of the batches you are weighing.

A triple beam is typically accurate to plus or minus one tenth of a gram. Most cheaper digital scales are something like accurate to plus or minus one to five grams. For a 20,000 gram batch..... a +/- 2 gram digital is just fine for all of the high weight value major ingredients. But if you are mixing test batches of glazes at 100 grams total batch........ with the triple beam you still have 1/2 percent inaccuracy for every individual material you weigh. Significant but certainly tolerable for what we do. With a digital, even one gram off in 100 grams total is 1 %.

best,

..................john

Guest JBaymore

Allegedly, you should be able to find a triple beam balance scale at a police action. Drug dealers use them.

I've seen them before listed in an auction.

"Hi officer. I'd really like that triple beam balance. Looks like it'd work perfect. Can I buy itfrom you? Uhhhhhhhhhh....... it is for legal uses. Honest!" laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

best,

..................john

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived