New Student, Need Advise")

KT25

Hello, I'm new to all this but my art instructor gave me the web site and said I should utilize it... so here I am, Utilizing") I am starting a new project and I believe I have set my sights quite high for my current educated level of the art... but here I go! I am currently working on a project that involves making an indoor fountain. Quite large. I'm not sure what kind of clay body would be best for this so if anyone has any advise... it would be SO helpful! The idea is cone 5... Any imput? Thanks so much!

Hello, I'm new to all this but my art instructor gave me the web site and said I should utilize it... so here I am, Utilizing") I am starting a new project and I believe I have set my sights quite high for my current educated level of the art... but here I go! I am currently working on a project that involves making an indoor fountain. Quite large. I'm not sure what kind of clay body would be best for this so if anyone has any advise... it would be SO helpful! The idea is cone 5... Any imput? Thanks so much!

I think you need to talk to your instructor about the selection of clay for your project. The size, style and method of production and firing can will determine the type and cone of the clay you need. Once you have determined that, you may want to build an smaller version of your design first to work out any problems. Sculptors have been making maquettes (small sculptures) for hundreds of years to work out problems or present them to patrons for approval. The size of your kiln can also determine the size of your fountain. Denice (Wichita, KS)

High fired, glazed stoneware you can't go wrong. Glazing the interior will help make cleaning the fountain easier. Get your recirculating pump prior to construction, read the instructions. Inquire about water additives to eliminate or reduce the salt deposits.

Upon construction of the fountain be sure to allow for clay shrinkage around the tubing and coupling connections of the pump. Check with your ceramics supplier about the shrinkage of the clay you will be using and the suitable glazes.

Archived