Fuming Raku

ron

I want try the ferric chloride fuming but want a formula,is it just deluted with water,alchol or what and what ratios are used? I've ordered some F.C. and I see it comes in a powder form not a liquid as I had thought. thanks

Charlie and Linda Riggs, who do extraordinary raku with ferric chloride effects, suggest mixing a solution of 1 to 3 Tablespoons of ferric chloride with 1 cup of water. They put the solution in an inexpensive spray gun device (from Home Depot or other paint/home improvement store. Ferric chloride will cause serious corrosion to any metal. Remember ferric chloride is highly toxic and corrosive; use only in well-ventilated areas (outdoors is best), and proper safety equipment -- vapor mask, rubber gloves, and protective eyewear (to protect against backsplash and wind changes).

I have used ferric chloride and stannous chloride for fuming. I use a water-dituted mix and spray it one with a plastic squirt bottle when the pot is going from the rake kiln into the trash can.

Ferric chloride sprayed on crackle white gives a gold luster and the stannous (tin) chloride gives a rainbow luster. This does corrode the spring in the spray bottles. Best to rinse them in between batches. Both are toxic and should not come in contact nor breathe fumes.

Marcia

I want try the ferric chloride fuming but want a formula,is it just deluted with water,alchol or what and what ratios are used? I've ordered some F.C. and I see it comes in a powder form not a liquid as I had thought. thanks

Also worth adding to the other comments that if you are mixing up solid or diluting liquid FeCl then be sure to add the chemical to the water not the other way around otherwise you can get a powerful exothermic reaction with disastrous results. I suggest trying a variety of different strengths and even combining them by say dripping strong over a wash of weak. The stronger the mix and the higher the temp the deeper the red colourswill be. At lower temps it will be yellow.

jev

Archived