Old Orton Controller

Min

I just picked up a spare kiln. It's from Pottery Supply House (Euclids) and  has never been used. It came with an Orton Autofire controller. Very basic touchpad, the manual that came with it is dated 1993. Anybody use one of these controllers? I'm thinking of switching the touchpad to a Skutt or Bartlett one. Any thoughts? 

post-747-0-67566900-1431230349_thumb.jpeg

post-747-0-67566900-1431230349_thumb.jpeg

I would be inclined to change out the controller for a Barlett.  The kiln itself will be fine but electronics have changed a lot in 22 years and you may be fighting problems due to drying out of compenents, parts no longer made etc.  Euclids can help with getting you up to speed with a new Barlett and possibilily zone control.

David

As long as that controller has the functionality you need, then just use it till there's a problem. If it does not have the functions you need, then I recommend the Bartlett V6-CF. The Bartlett might not fit into the same hole, though, so you'll have to cut the box or add a piece of sheet metal to make it fit.

• 5 years later...
12 hours ago, grumpykidstudio said:

Hey @Min! I am wondering what did you end up doing with the controller? I just got my hands on a very old Orto Controller on a Cone Art kiln and would LOVE some guidance!! 

Hi @grumpykidstudio , I swapped it out for a Bartlett V6 controller from Pottery Supply House / Euclids. They had a used one that I got a bit of a discount on. I use it as a bisque only kiln since the elements are such a pain to replace in this kiln (non segmented) and use 2 thermocouples. The board fit without having to alter the box. The original controller had very limited options and I was using it for glaze firing originally but after a little while a lot of the readout was illegible as parts of the numbers and letters blanked out and it had some stuck pads. I'ld contact Tuckers, send them some pictures of what you have and ask if they have a used board you can swap over. (or other vendors who might have a used board if you want to save a few bucks) Have to say I love the Genesis Controller on my ConeArt kiln.

Edited by Min
added a thought

On 11/27/2020 at 7:03 AM, Min said:

Hi @grumpykidstudio , I swapped it out for a Bartlett V6 controller from Pottery Supply House / Euclids. They had a used one that I got a bit of a discount on. I use it as a bisque only kiln since the elements are such a pain to replace in this kiln (non segmented) and use 2 thermocouples. The board fit without having to alter the box. The original controller had very limited options and I was using it for glaze firing originally but after a little while a lot of the readout was illegible as parts of the numbers and letters blanked out and it had some stuck pads. I'ld contact Tuckers, send them some pictures of what you have and ask if they have a used board you can swap over. (or other vendors who might have a used board if you want to save a few bucks) Have to say I love the Genesis Controller on my ConeArt kiln.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! The kiln I have is in excellent condition still, since the previous owner just left it in the garage for 15 years! I think I might just try to use it with it’s existing controller for now and if it breaks down on me, I will definitely talk to Tuckers. Why does it need 2 thermocouple? I only see one in the kiln...

I used one of these for years.  Perfectly adequate for non-esoteric firing schedules.  The  2 or 3 thermocouple options are only useful if you have 2 or 3 zones that you are controlling separately.   I saved my old AF3000 when I got new kilns with Genesis controllers and rewired the power transformer to 115V and changed the output socket to run an ancient Cress kiln  that had only a kiln sitter and runs off 115V.  Still working great.

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Silvija said:

I have an orton controller from 1995 and it seems not to be holding in memory the numbers that I want to program for the ramps.  Does anyone know what is going on?

Controllers die. When a controller starts having problems it's best to just replace it, especially when it's that old. Often one programming system will die, either the Ramp/Hold or the Cone Fire. Or buttons stop working, etc. One thing to check before you give up on it- is it in a very humid environment? Humidity can cause the circuit board to malfunction. If so, try drying the back of the board with a hair dryer and see if it starts working. Don't overheat it, be gentle. I

At the mill (the California Pittsburg, w/o the h), we stocked replacement boards for the antiquated fire control system.

We lost a operator station in the entry pulpit early one morning; the mouse family that had moved in on the station's main board - right over the "history unit" (an early hard drive) - had added enough "moisture" and salts to rot that board. There was over a half gallon of sunflower seed shells and other detritus in there.

Good ol' days.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...