Failing Kiln Stilts

Plattypus

Hello All,

I have been having some issues with the star stilts and another brand stilt... forgotten the brand just now. When firing at cone 5 glaze, an occasional metal tine fails (suddenly bend) and a piece will fall over and stick to another one. Also I have had some instances where the ceramic stilts are coming out slightly stuck into a foot which is unglazed... these are both new things... they never used to happen before. Any ideas? Do they have a shelf life and weaken over time?

Hello All,

I have been having some issues with the star stilts and another brand stilt... forgotten the brand just now. When firing at cone 5 glaze, an occasional metal tine fails (suddenly bend) and a piece will fall over and stick to another one. Also I have had some instances where the ceramic stilts are coming out slightly stuck into a foot which is unglazed... these are both new things... they never used to happen before. Any ideas? Do they have a shelf life and weaken over time?

I haven't use star stilts very much but it was my understanding that they very made for low fire glazes. Especially the stars with the metal tine would melt. Try designing your work so that you don't need to stilt it, end your glaze a quarter of an inch from the bottom. If you have a real runny glaze make a bisque cookie with kiln wash on it to go under the piece with the runny glaze. Denice (Wichita, KS)

Archived