Turned Foot Rings On Mugs; Elegance Or Affectation?

On 7/10/2018 at 8:12 PM, Babs said:

Well what srmteuck me this post are the posters  where are they?.

A lo haven't posted since the software update I noticed.

Wonder if they are still around and potting?

Chenoweth Arts  Paul

Rayaldridge

Jpots come to mind

And Rebekah!

The interface of pot to surface on Neil's and Ray's mugs just add to the eye candy for me! 

Wonder how we can lure those back?

Hey Babs!
I'm still 'potting around'.  We purchased property just west of Nashville to build a studio and retirement home...that has consumed my time and something (this forum) had to give.  Also, I was diagnosed with late stage prostate cancer last year and that little surgical-setback threw quite a wrench in my normally active life.  So far, my path reports are clear...and am thankful every day for that!
Nice to be remembered, BTW.

-Paul

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow its been two years since yoy posted I think -good to know you are still on the planet.Trimmed feet on mugs for me is affectation as its really not needed.I did trim mine back in the early 70s-been a long while since I felt it need doing.

I only trim feet into forms where it's functional.  Bowls, plates and platters mostly.  These lack a handle, so a foot serves as a place to hold it without burning your hand.  A platter or plate is awkward to carry without a foot of some sort as well.  

On a casserole a foot serves to elevate the majority of the bottom so as not to conduct heat once it's out of the oven, and potentially as another anchor point for carrying it or holding it while washing.

For me, trimming a mug is best left to people with a lot of extra time and clay.  You can make the bottom of a mug very attractive and functional without a lot of extra effort, and it's worked out well for me.

I like the wiggle wire look, and it keeps the form elevated off of a surface as to not conduct heat away.

LRM_EXPORT_66075166619392_20190514_130227293-1512x1134.jpeg

@ChenowethArts Welcome back Paul! I’m very glad to hear you’re well. 

as to the original topic, it is so cool to see how far some folks have come that were just beginning in the last few years!

I do some mug designs with a trimmed foot (and charge accordingly for the extra work), and some with a rolled and altered foot that is much faster.  Is a trimmed foot strictly needed? No. Are they sometimes a nice thing to do? Yes. 

Still can't tap center, also have trouble running a paint brush with my right hand (within a particular range), throwing overhand, an' several other right hand skills due to minor nerve damage, oh well - one must adapt.

Foot ring can be elegant, sure, affected, aye - perhaps there are (even) more extreme views - I'll go with design choice for now. I like: the natural break - for shape and glaze, easy to burnish and polish table contact, minimal unglazed surface, and finger catch, for bowls especially (all them features have been mentioned above).

Take care Paul!

...I still miss Yappy, hope she's ok.

Paul glad you are back and getting healthier,  post some pictures of your new studio we would love to see it.  I haven't done much in my studio since the end of last October,  I had surgery on a flip middle finger and carpal tunnel on the same hand.   My hand doctor said I was very slow at forming scar tissue so he has given me another month before I am totally healed.   Back to the foot ring discussion,  I like a foot ring on everything but I have made mugs without them  because of the design and flow of the mug,  a foot and lip can add a touch of thoughtful design but not always the correct treatment.      Denice

18 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

@ChenowethArts Welcome back Paul! I’m very glad to hear you’re well. 

as to the original topic, it is so cool to see how far some folks have come that were just beginning in the last few years!

I do some mug designs with a trimmed foot (and charge accordingly for the extra work), and some with a rolled and altered foot that is much faster.  Is a trimmed foot strictly needed? No. Are they sometimes a nice thing to do? Yes. 

Yes, welcome back @ChenowethArts  Glad you are doing well.  Please send pics of the new studio.  

Sometimes I trim feet on mugs and sometimes I do not.  I like to trim.  And some forms scream for it.  And some don't!  

Archived