I wish I was more child like when it comes to art children are uninhibited, expressive and openly honest.  The latest child like moment was last night I sat out on the patio and watched a thunderstorm past by.  As a child I would lay in my bed looking out the window smelling the new rain and enjoying the fresh breezes.  I enjoyed all of those smells and feelings last night, my husband did break the spell by coming out and telling me I was nuts.  To more childish pursuits!  Denice

Wow, so many responses. That's great!

Guinea: of course, the "squishing my fingers in the reclaim bucket to laugh at the fart sounds" counts! And, oh, I played video games too in the dark past ;-), but only the ones without shooting and without blood and violence....

Chris: It took me a few seconds until the word "Muggles" registered in my brain. That's so long ago. I've read all the books, minus the last one. I heard that is was boring?! You say you missed playing when you didn't have grandchildren. That's exactly my point: we should be able to play, even when no kids are around.

Mea: bravo - good for you!

High Bridge: is the "flattening of the unloved pot" an angry act or are you having fun in doing it? And, you know, English not being my mother tongue, I maybe use the wrong words when expressing myself. Maybe "being childlike" should be changed to "welcoming the inner child, despite we being adults and often too conformist and serious". And in the German language there is a big difference between being childish and being childlike. Is there a difference in your language too? Btw: I'am also very interested in what's going on in our brain. Neurology!

Lee: thank you for that great story. I love it, and I love very much how you reacted to the teacher's rebuke!

Marc Mc: wonderful! stay that way and never (really) grow up.

oldlady: Lucrezia Borgia? She was a bad girl, but I think people around her and the time she lived in made her like that. I still have to watch the Forrest Gump movie, so I can't say whether that is good or not so good, you being like that.... ;-)

kswan: I'd like to see some of your animal handles. I couldn't find your work in the gallery though. You definitely should set up your gallery page. Do you already know about the Japanese Netsuke?

DirtRoads: I just looked at your profile to see how old you are, but, alas, it says: age unknown. Would you say you are too old for music and movies like the one you mentioned? And (whisper) I would look blank too at the titels of the film episodes. What did I miss in my life having NO TV????

Marcia: exactly my point! You hit the nail on the head! Since I know you, I know too that you can still be childlike. I love it, Dr. Who :-)

Denice: awwwww, what a beautiful moment crashed to pieces. Next time imprison your hubby in the attic. Btw: my husband can't be childlike too and in the past I always pulled myself together, but since I hit 50 (almost 8 years ago) I let the inner child free as a bird.

Evelyne

Well I spend most afternoons being child-like as I sit in my studio and make little animal figures. Not to far from the villages I used to make in the sandbox.  Ditto for teenage behavior - nothing better than Motown music and vintage Buffalo Springfield.

There are kids clay classes at our studio and its a delight to see what those kids make and listen to them having a good time.   rakuku

My kids and I have never been happier. We are all enjoying living in a stress free environment. We watch crazy shows on TV (I love The walking Dead), we sleep in on Saturdays, stay in our pj's if it's raining. They hang out in the studio with me and we all giggle when I pull handles or cone down into mushrooms. Lots of dancing and singing and even a clay fight or two has happened in the studio. We eat a lot of Ramen and we all need new shoes. Their is an occasional tear or two but nothing that hugs and ice cream can't fix. I am so grateful I have work that I enjoy.

Evelyn,

Thanks for the kind words. I spent 22 years trapped in an abusive marriage. I have so much to be grateful for now. My kids are constantly shocked an amazed at the immaturity and selfish behavior of their peers. The future of our country is in great trouble when today's youth become in charge of things. My kids are 19, 15,15,and 14.

Fish with wings, castles growing out of human heads, people hanging on to the backs of birds...  doesn't ceramics bring out the inner child in most of us? My husband would certainly trhink so.  Apart from making whimsical sculptures what I  stil have fun with is moviing rocks and damming up the stream at the back of our property.  I can spend hours raising the water level by 1/2" and making little channels for fish to navigate!  My grandchildren used to help but now they just say: "Oh grandma....."  But they still help!

Sheilac: I would gladly come and help damming that stream of yours!  :lol:  We did that as children, my siblings and I, in boots that were too big for us. My then 4 year old brother got stuck in the mud (I mean the boots he was in got stuck) and he stood in the middle of a rivulet and yelled as if his life was in danger. We two older sisters stood at the bank and enjoyed his uncomfortableness (he always was the favorite with our parents, so we had our little revenge). Our father had to lift him out.... Thank you for a nice memory! Keep damming that stream and keep making your sculptures.

Archived