Sign in to follow this  
Riorose

Looking For A Self Glazing Black Clay, Not Egyptian Paste

Is there such a product available commercially or does anyone have a formula? it is not egyptian paste because it fires to cone 6. Valentines Clay in the Uk has what is called a parian body, a selfglazing porcelain but I am looking for something that is deep black at cone 6? Thanks everyone.

I think a parian body becomes black with a black body stain,not very cheep but it becomes realy black.To lower the melting point of a clay, and to design a low firing 'porcelain' which itself glazes, you need to add melting ingredients.For example an alkali frit.

Is there such a product available commercially or does anyone have a formula? it is not egyptian paste because it fires to cone 6. Valentines Clay in the Uk has what is called a parian body, a selfglazing porcelain but I am looking for something that is deep black at cone 6? Thanks everyone.

Cassius Clay has a really nice finish and very black..It is from Aardvark clay. Says best results at cone 4 but we have fired at cone 5 too.

Cassius Clay has a really nice finish and very black..It is from Aardvark clay. Says best results at cone 4 but we have fired at cone 5 too.

A couple more resources:

The Alfred Raw Materials cookbook 2009 has results of some experiments with cone 6 self-glazing bodies (pages 64-68).

(If that link doesn't work, go to this page and click on "recipes" on the left-hand side for a link to the 2009 cookbook.)

And this article has recipes for self-glazing clays for use up to cone 6:

Rowan, G. (1990). Cone 08-6 self-glazing clays. Ceramics Monthly, 38(2), 77.