Sign in to follow this  
ConnieHobbs

Basic Firing Question

Ignorance isn't always bliss. Due to operator error, I had a cool spot in my kiln. The 4 pieces affected have an unappealing surface, pinholes and only semi-glossy finish. Can I re-fire these pieces to the desired cone 6 instead of cone 4? Thank heavens for witness cones. Yes, I'm a beginner......but not a quitter.

Connie,

It has happened to many of us. Just "keep on potting". Back in 1971  wrote to Paul Soldner one late winter night while firing my gas kiln during a blizzard  in upstate  NY wondering why do we do this. He kindly wrote back, "Keep on potting!"

Marcia

I like your attitude, Connie. I too, am a beginner. I've learned some lessons the hard way, and the hardest seem to be in the kiln operation department. I am SO very thankful for the experienced people here. Without them, I'd likely have a lot of worthless junk on my hands. ;)

I have re-fired before and had good results. 

I consider myself a bit of an advanced novice, I know a whole lot more now than I did, but I know I still don't know enough :-)

Anyway....... once my glaze firing reaches ^6 I hold it for 30 min in the belief that any spots that are cooler will heat up.  So far it seems to work for me.  Then I let the kiln cool naturally.