Attaching Ceramic Sculpture To A Base

This year, I will be donating a sculpture to the "Sprint for Life" fund raising event which takes place in May in Houston, Texas. I was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer about 18 months ago and continue on the roller coaster ride of treatment, having hair, being bald, have hair again, chemo, wonderful supportive family and friends who are amazing and my own efforts at continuing to create art as long as I am able. "Sprint for Life" is an event which takes place annually, involves hundreds of participants of all ages and helps to provide funds to continue the amazing work in research, education, outreach and treatment which takes place at M D Anderson Hospital(a world reknowned cancer center). I am currently working on the ceramic sculpture (approx. 11" to 18" tall, excluding base) which will be awarded at this years event. I would like to mount it to a wooden base which will have an engraved plaque showing the name of the group to which it is presented. I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or suggestions as relates to mounting this work. I would like for it to be done in a way that will be secure and sound, both aesthetically and physically. Thanks for any help you have available.

I use wood bases on most of my sculptures, and the best way I've found to mount them is to trace the bottom of the sculpture onto a heavy paper (I use file folders or poster board) and use that as a template on the wood. Either use a router yourself, or have someone else rout out at least 1/4" recessed depth and an extra 1/8" around the edge so there's enough room for your sculpture and the adhesive you'll use to stick them together. Make sure any stains or finishes are NOT petroleum distillate based, because the adhesive (mastic or silicone of some sort) won't adhere to oil based products.

NOTE: when cutting out the template make sure you write TOP on the paper--twice I've had someone who routed out the base after flipping over the template. Wasted wood, time, and effort.

Make sure the area that the sculpture sits on is smooth. No ripples, no bumps--each protrusion becomes a breaking point for the clay.

Hope this helps.

Archived