Before The End Of The Year

Old Lady,

1. Click on More Reply Options

2.Browse button to find the picture you want to attach.

3. Attach this file button to attach the file.

Now this is the how. However, before doing this, you should edit your file to a smaller size that will be easier to download and display. Use a common photo editor, and set the image size to at least 1/2 of the original size, Often, 640X480 pixels will work. You can do other tricks like convert it to gray scale if color is not of concern. If cropping to a non traditional size like long skinny rectangle, continue to keep the file less than 307200 pixels which is sum of 640*480.

Hope this makes things easier.

Happy New Year,

Pres

i can do the stuff this forum asks but my problem is condensed in the phrase pres tossed off without a thought, "edit your file". even though the pictures are stored in the stupidest way, by date taken and almost every one is a "file".  sometimes the same picture shows up 3 times.  every time i try to find the picture i want they all show up in a different format. even if i can locate the picture i want, the entire screen is filled up from wall to wall.  there is no cad page showing underneath so i cannot drag the picture to the place it goes or use the "attach this file".    right now there is a symbol at the bottom of my screen and when i click on it, the pictures i separated out are shown waiting for me to figure it out.

my daughter showed me how to do it for emails and i wrote the instructions in a notebook (the kind with paper).  i follow these instructions perfectly but the picture cannot be moved and the email or the cad page are gone when i exit the photo stuff. ( i can even find the part that lets me get the size down to 640x480 but i does not stay that way.)

it is late, thank you all but enough for today.  i really need a book "sending pictures for dummies".  anyone got one of those?  how about writing one?

I am not sure what is going on or what you are explaining. I was going to ask for a picture LOL stupid of me...

Lets start from the beginning. 

You take a photo with your camera and then what do you do?

Are you using windows? I could make a basic tutorial, what program do you try to use to edit?

i can do the stuff this forum asks but my problem is condensed in the phrase pres tossed off without a thought, "edit your file". 

it is late, thank you all but enough for today.  i really need a book "sending pictures for dummies".  anyone got one of those?  how about writing one?

As an ex I T Trainer, even I haven't got a simple solution for "edit your file" to make it smaller.  Like HighBridge says, we need to know a bit more about your photo storage........

(It would be nice if forums like CAD automatically asked "would you like to make this picture the right size, so it is acceptable?", but I guess that's not going to happen anytime soon.)

I'll have a think about easy ways to reduce file size and report back.........

OK, it's surprising what you can find out in half an hour with a nice cup of fruit tea in your hand.......

To change the size of a photo, you need a piece of software, and it's highly unlikely that your computer came with one already built-in.  None of mine appear to have anyway...

There are any number of free programmes, that work either online or on your computer.  The online ones are OK for reducing the size of one picture at a time, the computer ones are better for changing many pictures at the same time.

I googled "reduce picture file size" and found loads, so tried the first one listed:  http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx This can be used either online or on-computer.  To use it online, having clicked the above link, you click "Choose File" and browse for the file you want to shrink, then change the "Max Width and Height" to 640 x 480 then click "Optimize Now".  Wait a while and then click "Download to your computer".

(On my laptop) Microsoft Picture Manager opens.  You can close this, or if you click File, Save As, you will see where the new smaller file has been saved.  (On my laptop) this is the "Downloads" folder.  Remember (write down) where the file is, then you can browse that folder when attaching files here.

I've taken lots of "screenshots", so will put together a proper "how-to" and e-mail it to you OldLady.

I use Microsoft Paint, which came pre-loaded on my computer (home and at work), to re-size photos. The real culprit here is the disconnect between cameras (which want to take pictures at 4, 6, 8, 16, or 32 megabytes vs. forums like this one that want the images minimized to reduce the need for storage space. Which places the onus on users to modify their image files.

I suspect the problem is getting the images from the camera to the computer, then using an editor like Paint to resize and save the image under a second name so you do not loose the hi-resolution image, and then uploading into CAD. If you don't have local computer storage for your images, that adds another element of complexity to a process that really should be a simple as possible.

I think best solution is to find someone who can sit down beside you and patiently walk you through the process, end-to-end. And, stays with you and allows you to do that process a few times to make sure you've dot it down and can work around problems.

Yea,I don't know what computers you are buying Chilly. All computers should come with a basic paint program unless you are into linux. Even then they probably come with one.

It sounds like there are a few problems but let's ignore most of them :- From rereading what you have said it sounds like you have a mac. Here are some steps you could try and follow.

1. Click on the symbol you have created at the bottom to see your images.
  2. Right click on one image and from the menu that pops up choose 'open with ->'
  3. When you scroll over the open with it will bring up another little menu, from that menu choose preview.
  4. This will open up the image in preview which is a basic image editor.
  5. Once you have your image opened, look along the top bar of the screen where you find the time/date. On the left side there will be the word 'tools'
  6. Put the mouse over the word and this will bring up a set of menus.
  7. The 3rd or 4th option down will be 'adjust size' click on this and another window will open.
  8. There will be a width and height value with another menu to the right. Click this menu to the right and change it to say pixels.
  9. There will be two check boxes underneath, make sure the box that says 'scale proportionally' is ticked. This will keep the ratio between width and height the same.
  10. Find the biggest value (width or height) and put in the value 712. It doesn't have to be 712 but I find that a good size. The smaller value will change when you change the bigger value.
  11. Underneath this there is a box with the heading 'resulting size' this is telling you how big the image is going to be. This needs to be under 500kb for CAD. If it is too big then reduce the biggest value again until it says under 500kb.
  12. Click ok on this menu and you will have resized your image.
  13. Now you need to save your image.
  14. Go to the menus on the top bar and find the one that says 'File' Make sure you still have the preview window selected otherwise you could be trying to access the file menu for a different program.
  15. Choose 'save as' to save a new image or 'save' if you want to delete the old image and save your new one over it.
  16. This will bring up a finder window where you can navigate to the location you would like to save and choose a name for your image. For now I would save it to your desktop until you know how you want to store your edited images.
  17. There will be a drop down menu under where you enter the name. This is where you can select the type of file you want to save. I would go with JPEG or PNG. Either one will be good.
  18. Hit save! (or ok or whatever the button is called, just not the one that says cancel)
  19. Open your internet program, surf your way to CAD.
  20. Write a witty post and go to more reply options.
  21. Click attach file
  22. Go to the location you saved the edited image, click on the image and hit ok. Your image will now be uploaded to your post.
  23. Do not try and drag and drop images to insert them into your post.
  24. You should be able to see the name of the image and a small example with the word 'Done' underneath where you have been typing into.
  25. Post the post :D

This can also be done on windows but instead of right clicking and opening with preview, right click and open with paint. Different programs use different words but find any menu that says resize image/adjust image size/anything that sounds like it will change the size. 

I just usually tell people who don't know much about computers to use a website like this:

http://www.picresize.com/

Literally drag in picture, press continue.

Go to 2nd step and adjust size to % smaller you want. You can also see the estimated size for the picture based on the %. Then press Im Done at the bottom.

Then you click save to disk on the next step, and its what ever % smaller.  

It saves it to where ever your browser saves files. If you don't know this part, then tell me what browser you have and I will explain how to find that out.

Literally 4 clicks.

I didn't see this thread or I would have volunteered to help you a lot sooner. I used to do IT the first 15 years of my life. Done everything you can do from programming, web design & development, seo, IT on site and offsite, remote help, and even telephone support. Currently attending school to get my 2nd degree in ISA. You all help me so much in pottery, if any of you need help in IT stuff just PM me. More than happy to give back.

If you want to do batch photo resizes I recommend downloading Fotosizer(its free for basic use). It is really easy you drag photos in, and change the % then hit the button and all your photos in the file or that you dragged into the program change.

thank you all.  there are so many steps in this process that i will go to the library and use their printer to save these instructions so i can read from paper to screen and not have to try to keep looking from one screen to the other while balancing all the photos on the head of a pin.  at least that is what it feels like. 

wish i could find a person with enough patience to sit with.  

darn!  i just remembered seeing a notice about a computer class for old folks at our local library.  hope i have not missed it!  

found the listing online!

monday from 2-3:30 facebook training.  boy, i need that.  i tried to use facebook and they sent me a million suggestions to put my high school info on, a picture of myself, etc, etc,  i had a bunch of nuisance things come in so i had a friend close it entirely.  now i cannot even see when and where the guild meeting is for jan.

I think some of the issues lots of us have is we want to SAVE a smaller picture.  Not make the picture smaller and then save it !  My mind says "open Picture".  "Save picture, tick box in save window to make picture smaller."   Which is why I totally overlooked using Paint.  And pain may not be available on a Library computer.

OldLady and I are having an e-mail conversation to find the simplest solution for her to re-size her photos (wherever they are stored.)

I will post our final solution as I hope it will help others too.

One problem is there is 1000's of ways to get to the same solution and it can become a bit overwhelming. It can get very confusing as terms can be interchangeable or use completely different words for the same thing. I tried to pick the easiest way to do it with a mac, and keep my terms the same.

My mum always gets annoyed when she asks me how to do something and I don't know but then I seem to randomly click until I work it out. One of the best ways to learn on a computer is to click buttons and see what they do. In most programs you can always undo if you end up with something you didn't expect. 

Archived