Raku

When we fired our raku kiln in class we had a flame that came out of the top hole. When i fire my zen kiln at home, we are not getting that flame. Are we suppose to get that flame? Tonight I used cones o5, 06, and 07. They never bent even when my pyrometer registered 2000 degrees. My cornwall stone(white) and rainbow matt came out black, looking like charcoal, and my raku burst, awabi shell and lithium slip all came out looking the same, (green). TheRaku burst has always come out a very coppery orange/pink beautiful color. I fired my cornwall stone in a bisque firing and it came out great in my electric kiln. So, I am still wondering if I am not firing hot enough, or too hot and some things are burning???? Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next? Thanks, Your help is sooooo appreciated.

Thanks Chris, I also thought an under firing even though things looked pretty cooked once out of the reduction bins. This time I fired at night but still no flame. I will try to position my burner more in the center, I noticed it was hitting one of the shelf posts. I have been wrapping fiber blanket around the side of my pyrometer and placing it about half way into the spyhole. Hopefully that is the correct way to do it. Next firing I will do 2 identical pieces and fire one at what I think is 1850 degrees and the other I will wait until the 06 cone bends which might not be until 2500 degrees on my "new" pyrometer. Maybe my pyrometer isn't working correctly-then whats the sense in having it. Oh well, I am still having fun!

Archived