Ferric Chloride Respirators

Hello, here I am again with a question. I want to use ferric chloride on my raku. I am confused on which respirator to use. on the ferric chloride data sheet it recommends an N95 or better activated charcoal niosha mask. I just got back from home depot, osh and harbor frieght. No one knows anything about these face mask. The mask i chose says paint spray respirator ov/p95 3M. I am not sure what the difference is between an N 95 and a P95. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks to all that respond to my questions.

Hello, here I am again with a question. I want to use ferric chloride on my raku. I am confused on which respirator to use. on the ferric chloride data sheet it recommends an N95 or better activated charcoal niosha mask. I just got back from home depot, osh and harbor frieght. No one knows anything about these face mask. The mask i chose says paint spray respirator ov/p95 3M. I am not sure what the difference is between an N 95 and a P95. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks to all that respond to my questions.

P95 refers to the particulate filtering level of the mask. NIOSH has an excellent table of manufactureres and their approved products at

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/p95list1.html

I'm not at all familiar with H95. The P 95 spec means that the mask will iflter out 95% of all airborne particles. I personally use a Mine Safety Applliances Model 817663 multi-purpose respirator which is certified by both NIOSH and OSHA to P100 which filters out 99.97 percent of all airborne particles (it is also available from Amazon.com). I tend to overkill but when it comes to my lungs I can live with that :)

Regards,

Charles

I agree with Charles the p100 is a better particulate filter than the n95. The p100 is sometimes called a HEPA filter as well, it is usually pink or magenta in colour. As for the OV this stands for organic vapour. This means that the ferric choride MSDS makes believes that there are pariculates as well as organic vapours given off of their material. The paint spray mask is an organic vapour mask with a particle filter in front it addresses this potential hazard.

The proper use of this type of mask includes fitting it properly as per the instuctions - do a negative pressure fit check. Also the cartridges (OV) need to be stored in a plastic bag when not in use.... they continue to absorb vapour if left in the open and then will not work effectively when you need to use it.

As far as the N or P - the N means not oil resistant. The fibers and glue inside the filter will not stand up to oil products eg solvents. Most commonly used in hospitals. As for P this means it is oil resistant. Commonly used in industry. Not much cost difference from what I have seen.

Hope this helps

Have a safe day

Bill

I agree with Charles the p100 is a better particulate filter than the n95. The p100 is sometimes called a HEPA filter as well, it is usually pink or magenta in colour. As for the OV this stands for organic vapour. This means that the ferric choride MSDS makes believes that there are pariculates as well as organic vapours given off of their material. The paint spray mask is an organic vapour mask with a particle filter in front it addresses this potential hazard.

The proper use of this type of mask includes fitting it properly as per the instuctions - do a negative pressure fit check. Also the cartridges (OV) need to be stored in a plastic bag when not in use.... they continue to absorb vapour if left in the open and then will not work effectively when you need to use it.

As far as the N or P - the N means not oil resistant. The fibers and glue inside the filter will not stand up to oil products eg solvents. Most commonly used in hospitals. As for P this means it is oil resistant. Commonly used in industry. Not much cost difference from what I have seen.

Hope this helps

Have a safe day

Bill

That is an excellent point you make on fit Bill. One of the biggest respiratory health problems I see in industry is fit of respirators. If your respirator does not fit properly you might as well not wear one. thaks for bringin it up and welcome to the community.

Regards,

Charles

Guest JBaymore

If your respirator does not fit properly you might as well not wear one.

Excellent and accurate info in the above posts.

If your respirator does not fit and you think it does, then it is likely even worse than not wearing one. At least if you are not wearing one you might take some general precautions about fumes, dusts, and gases. When someone thinks it fits..... they tend to feel "invincible" and maybe forget about other possible controls and preventions .... like local pickup ventilation and the pattern of the makeup airflow into the breathing zone.

best,

...............john

• 3 weeks later...

Sparky's right on the pressure test. I use a North full face respirator quite a bit and am required to have it fit tested every year.

Here's the test:

First, put the mask on and adjust it so it fits well to your face. Then place your hand over the inlet for air, generally in the center of the mask and breath in. The mask should suction down on your face and stay there as long as your hand is over the inlet.

Second, put your hands over the filter. If you have a two filter mask use both hands. Then breath out, pay attention to where you feel air exit the mask. You only need to use normal breathing pressure otherwise it will leak regardless of how well it fits.

You can get banana oil testing capsules also. Just to the test above after you have broken open a capsule and if you smell bananas while covering the air inlet you have a leak.

Bob

Archived