Bisque Firing And Glazing At The Same Time?

cstovin

Hello,

I have heard some people bisque fire to cone 04 and glaze (if their glaze is also cone 04) at the same time;

I bought some Mayco elements to try, and it is Cone 06 to cone 6; but I have never used it, and DO plan on experimenting - for those that have fired and glazed at the same time, what has your experience been with this?

I have glazed for example at the same time when clear glazing the inside of vases and things like that, but have never tried it using a colored glaze?

Any pros and cons I need to be aware of?  Is this totally a bad idea to glaze with elements glaze and fire to cone 04 with bisque firing and the glaze firing occurring at the same time?

Stains have a lower flux amount and may do well for ya also.. some stains look really good under/over other colors like  Mayco's Plum.

Does that product say its ok to put on green ware? I know some do and some do not... usually their  website has the best info.. Guinea might know more about it, she does the low fire green ware method like your talking about... Not sure what she uses though..

We've discussed this a couple of times on this forum.

At my high school, I sometimes bisque student work on the lower shelves, and place glaze work separately on higher shelve. Some red glazes will turn to a liver colour beside bisque ware but other wise, it's O.K.

I fire to cone06 for both bisque and glaze.

TJR.

I have had both success doing this and horrible tragedy.  I was successful when it was just glaze over greenware and the kiln was fired very slowly.  What went wrong was trying to once fire ware that had underglaze decoration which had not been bisqued then glaze over that, and I fired more quickly than normal.  I ended up with lots of blisters because the gases were not able to escape properly.

Archived