Use Of Plastic In The Studio

TJR

So, I opened up a new box of Laguna Danish White. The plastic was thick. The twist tie was new. It was like taking the plastic cellofane off a new pack of Players Light smokes-if I smoked. I also use large sheet of plastic to prevent my pots from drying out before I put handles on.

What would we use if there was no plastic? Wet straw? Blankets? How would we ship moist clay?

TJR,

Wax paper. We all remember wax paper bags for carrying our sandwiches and bread wrapped in wax paper -- before plastic bags. Please tell me we all remember wax paper . . .

I remember wax paper.

TJR.

I guess we are lucky to have plastic for a lot of things like clay storage.

Wax paper. We all remember wax paper bags for carrying our sandwiches and bread wrapped in wax paper -- before plastic bags. Please tell me we all remember wax paper . . .

I was thinking of wax paper when I mentioned of oil cloth--industrial revolution inventions with the advent of cheap coal/petroleum by-products, textiles, and paper.  The mind tends to omit what's familiar--I'm like Diesel Clay and still use it.

I had a thought--do traditional potteries provide the opportunity to even use plastic?  I was thinking about how onggi clay was processed, and the process of souring and slaking the clay happen simultaneously.  The clay is moved to a drying tank and is essentially stored drying.  Clay claimed from there is wedged and left to sit--maybe covered by a tarp, but just as likely just kept moist by its own massiveness and the ambient humidity.  The production process also seems to exploit drying rather than trying to work against it.

Perhaps plastic is a thing we've created a use for in ceramics? 

I was thinking of wax paper when I mentioned of oil cloth--industrial revolution inventions with the advent of cheap coal/petroleum by-products, textiles, and paper.  The mind tends to omit what's familiar--I'm like Diesel Clay and still use it.

I had a thought--do traditional potteries provide the opportunity to even use plastic?  I was thinking about how onggi clay was processed, and the process of souring and slaking the clay happen simultaneously.  The clay is moved to a drying tank and is essentially stored drying.  Clay claimed from there is wedged and left to sit--maybe covered by a tarp, but just as likely just kept moist by its own massiveness and the ambient humidity.  The production process also seems to exploit drying rather than trying to work against it.

Perhaps plastic is a thing we've created a use for in ceramics? 

Tyler;

I know in Nigeria, the potters used to put their clay down a big hole, like a well. This was covered with wet cloths and a wooden lid.You could have a damp cupboard, or a damp trunk made of wood.Way more complicated though.

TJR.

When I am in production mode going through many 25 lbs. bags of clay I can really see how fast the plastic bags accumulate. I've tried to find uses for them, but there are too many and it is very time consuming to try to clean them. Not sure if one can recycle them or not. Wish B-mix 5 came packaged a different way. Maybe Laguna will start using wet leaves, etc. if we agitate enough? Seriously though, does anyone have good ideas for reusing or recycling the plastic bags commercial clay comes in, or other suggestions?

When I am in production mode going through many 25 lbs. bags of clay I can really see how fast the plastic bags accumulate. I've tried to find uses for them, but there are too many and it is very time consuming to try to clean them. Not sure if one can recycle them or not. Wish B-mix 5 came packaged a different way. Maybe Laguna will start using wet leaves, etc. if we agitate enough? Seriously though, does anyone have good ideas for reusing or recycling the plastic bags commercial clay comes in, or other suggestions?

I let the bags dry out, then beat the clay crumbs out of them. I use them for recycled clay-trimmings etc. that I slake down and then dry on a plaster bat.

Come to think of it, I do have a lot of bags folded up under my wedging table. I do know that Safeway collects plastic bags, but I don't know about heavy duty clay bags.

Can anyone come up with a use for them? Maybe Christmas wreaths spay painted green?

TJR.

Seriously though, does anyone have good ideas for reusing or recycling the plastic bags commercial clay comes in, or other suggestions?

Lately, I've been taking my plastic clay bags to a nearby pottery studio that pugs/recycles student clay scraps and sells the pugs to students. All of my clay boxes are put in recycling. It would be nice if the clay manufacturers went to using recycled cardboard for their clays and bags that were recyclable.

Can anyone come up with a use for them? Maybe Christmas wreaths spay painted green?

TJR.

Oh no, not another ticky tacky Christmas waste of space!!! ;) Was at a show last weekend and it was full of that crap. What is it about Christmas that allows peoples sense of taste go out the window?

Waterproofed animal skins and membranes up until the advent of cheaply made cloth, then oil cloth etc.  

I have always just assumed that Canadians used animals skins to wrap, pretty much everything....

And in regards to the reuse of plastic bags, having  a classroom full of students, who are working on several projects at a time, helps take care of those.  Even then, I still will throw some away, once I get too many.  And any bag that gets a little distressed, get's immediately tossed.  

TJR.

Oh no, not another ticky tacky Christmas waste of space!!! ;) Was at a show last weekend and it was full of that crap. What is it about Christmas that allows peoples sense of taste go out the window?

I'm not sure they ever had any to begin with. X-mas just proves that point.

I reuse as many boxes as I can sending work to galleries-recycle the rest.

The bags get used as much as I can with scrap clay or pugged clay-rest is landfill I'm afraid.

I never ever thought of pottery as a green career.

Mark

I let the bags dry out, then beat the clay crumbs out of them. I use them for recycled clay-trimmings etc. that I slake down and then dry on a plaster bat.

Come to think of it, I do have a lot of bags folded up under my wedging table. I do know that Safeway collects plastic bags, but I don't know about heavy duty clay bags.

TJR.

Cut then in strips and knit them into bags, what isn't that what we started with, well yes but look at the fun we are having....

WHere is our recycle queen these days??

Stellaria are you out there, we need your brain here.

Could be knitted into waterproof teabags..

TJR.

Cut then in strips and knit them into bags, what isn't that what we started with, well yes but look at the fun we are having....

WHere is our recycle queen these days??

Stellaria are you out there, we need your brain here.

Could be knitted into waterproof teabags..

Made me laugh! Water-proof teabags. What a great idea!

:D TJR.

Waterproofed animal skins and membranes up until the advent of cheaply made cloth, then oil cloth etc.  

I have always just assumed that Canadians used animals skins to wrap, pretty much everything....

And in regards to the reuse of plastic bags, having  a classroom full of students, who are working on several projects at a time, helps take care of those.  Even then, I still will throw some away, once I get too many.  And any bag that gets a little distressed, get's immediately tossed.  

Oh yeah! Make a stereotype about Canadians. We always just walk around in animal skins. Especially beaver.

TJR,

Oh yeah! Make a stereotype about Canadians. We always just walk around in animal skins. Especially beaver.

TJR,

Yeah, times have changed. With global warming it's getting harder to hunt enough polar bears and moose to clothe our children.

TJR,

Yeah, times have changed. With global warming it's getting harder to hunt enough polar bears and moose to clothe our children.

I can't stand for that!!!  Where are the commercials, asking for money for that cause?  Those Canadian children need bear fur!  We can create a charity and call it "Clothes for Cannuck Kids"...

TJR,

I can't stand for that!!!  Where are the commercials, asking for money for that cause?  Those Canadian children need bear fur!  We can create a charity and call it "Clothes for Cannuck Kids"...

Don't quit your day job  ;)

Archived