Best Way To Reglaze

Venicemud

What do you find to be the best way to apply more/another glaze to a piece that has been glazed and fired to maturity?  Some of you are probably going to say don't waste your time, just start over again, but I have three bowls with fairly elaborate designs painted on the exterior, but with disappointing glaze on the interior, that I would dearly love to save.  Do any of you have a favorite way of dealing with this problem?  Thanks in advance,  Joan.

For unique wares, I don't feel that anyone here, would fault you for wanting to save them.

A couple solutions, I've seen people post: One, heat the ware(s) in a microwave. This will help the glaze dry faster and not run as much over the non-porous body. Two, add a gum solution to your glaze, so they clung better to the smooth surface.

How are you applying the glaze; pouring, spraying, brushing, etc?

Also, what was disappointing about the interior glaze?

heat the pot in the OVEN, not the microwave.  ovens have dry heat, a microwave will steam any water it can find even if you cannot find any.

spraying it would be best since it leaves a thin coating and will dry immediately since you have heated the pot in your OVEN first.  the lowest setting will work fine.  turn it on for 5 minutes.  turn off heat and let pot sit while you prepare to glaze it.  use pot holders.

And....depending on the weather (I glaze in the shop and do I really want to go back out in the cold to get to the oven in the house?) I have also used a heat gun to heat up the pot so it will take the glaze.  And I have used a hair dryer.   But they don't work as well as a warm kiln or oven. 

Roberta

Thanks for your suggestions - tomorrow, I go for heat in the oven and then spray glaze on interior.  Can't go for dipping TJR , I need a clear on the outside (and the outside is fine anyway) and an opaque glaze on the inside.  The glaze on the interior currently is a cone 6 "Shino" unevenly brushed on, I'm considering using a cone 6 "Temmoku" sprayed on fairly lightly.  Wish me luck, Joan

1 for + for warming the pot in the oven then spraying glaze on. If you can hold of a product called "Apt II Ceramic Enhancer" it works well to help wet glaze stick to vitrified pots. 

And +1 for the Ceramic Enhancer.  I've only used it in glaze on a couple occasions.  I used to mainly use it to create a mending slip, for broken wares.  It worked well, but the "Spooze" recipe seems to work better, so I stopped ordering the Enhancer.

what is interesting about heating a pot in an oven and spraying glaze on it is that once you have a thin layer of glaze firmly stuck on you can add more if you want to when it cools. the dried surface provides a base. 

sometimes heating only one item can be done with a 100 watt bulb in a lamp about 6 inches above the pot.  in 10 minutes or so, the pot is warm enough to hold a new coat of glaze.  

• 3 years later...

Usually not, but then again to this does depend on glaze maturation temp. I would not spray a bristol(zinc) white glaze over some colors, as it will gray them out, but most transparent, or even opaque tin or zircopax whites can work well. At least in my humble opinion.

best,

Pres

6 hours ago, Mosaic Lynn said:

If you are reglazing with a different glaze, do you need to worry about glaze compatibility? Is there any danger of damage to the kiln from incompatible glazes?   Thanks. 

Some glazes can really run when you refire them or layer two glazes, if in doubt put the pot on a scrap waster piece of bisque so if it does run it won't run onto your kiln shelf.

Archived