Airbrush Recommendation For Underglazing

It looks like I have finally worn out the Paasche airbrush that I have used/abused over the last several years. At anyrate, I want to begin blending underglazes...and airbrushing seems to be the way to go. Is there a manufacturer/model for this specific task that works better than others? I am wanting to do relatively fine detail, not broadstroke work like one might do with a sprayer. Your recommendations and experience are appreciated?

Thanks,

-Paul

Picking an Airbrush is a personal preference.

I like the double action Iwata Eclipse, it is easy to acquire parts, has a fair price, paints reasonably fine detail and will spray thin to thick media without changing the needles, Paasche is a little more finicky.

When I changed over from Paasche the Iwata was leaps and bounds better.

There are other brands, some of the newer models may even be better, but you will probably have a harder time getting parts.

They have airbrushes that will spray a line as fine as the human hair, they only work with special paints and dye, and cost a bunch.

You can pay more for an airbrush, I have use ones that were over a grand, but that does not mean they will be better.

I use a Badger 250-2 I bought from Amazon, with which I also purchased a half dozen extra jars.  Today their price for both items is $27.85, plus shipping It is external mix and a simple as can be, but it does its job, is easy to clean, and a quick finger to direct air down the pick up tube clears clogs well.  It has a pretty good spread and you can vary the width by how close you are to the work.

I picked this particular one on a recommendation from potter Martha Grover.

I also bought a set with with a sprayer and several quick change bottles from Harbor Freight.  It is pretty cool to just unclip a bottle and change to the next to continue spraying and not lose the creative momentum removing, cleaning and installing a new bottle.  It was $9.99 if I recall correctly.

I don't see spending a lot on an air brush that I am going to spray glazes through.  TCP Global has a page with the Iwata Eclipse models here:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Eclipse/?gclid=CMb794Kow8ECFWkV7AodO1UAhQ

John

paul, think it over and decide what you like best.  i really wish i could use my paasche setup.  the closest class is in north carolina, and that is general art, not ceramic glazes.  

unless Mug would be willing to travel or let me travel, i do not even know how to set up the darned thing.

I have an old paasche as well and it far from great. I like to cover more area so a small sprayer for me is a better choice. If you are working on a micro scale get a dual action airbrush-but again check out the small sprayers as they cover more ground.

Mark

I have an old Passche too. Recently used it on a tile project. It works find. I don't like the glass jars though. Always afraid of them slipping off. I am left handed and some of the jars seem to be for right handed users.

Old Lady, next time I drive to Pa. I can stop by and show you.

Marcia

Archived