Sign in to follow this  
Mermoose

Looking For Ways To Color Slip

The same colorants used in glazes can be used in slip. If you're looking for an easy way to color slip, mason stains aren't a bad option. Test first as always, a gradient is a good way to figure out how little you can get away with using while obtaining what you're looking for.

Stains,colouring oxides or carbonates would be a lot easier. I've never stained slips with glaze, I would imagine you would have a mixture that would be partly fluxed so getting another glaze on top might be a pain. Plus, I would guess there would be shrinkage problems, slips made with the same clay as the pot body fit the pot, just have to adjust them slightly with some of the stains etc.

I found an Emmanuel Cooper book with a listing of slips.  I searched the entire book to understand what an IS slip is.  I worked out all the others: YS, BS and GS.  Is it possibly indigo?  he states that layers with a clear glaze IS turned a pale green.  I'm very keen to try to work this out.

Wanna know something else super rad about mason stains? You can wedge the powder INTO the clay for some supremely bodacious marbling effects! :)

If you are looking for a super rich blue, I would suggest cobalt carbonate. That stuff is like the Hercules of colorants--just a couple pinches will color a gallon bucket royal blue. :) Another one is chrome oxide--makes a barfy Incredible Hulk green, but it's good for sgraffito'ing trees 'n stuff. :)