Amaco Potters Choice Salt Buff Looks Like Ash

I don't absolutely hate the look of this bowl, but I wasn't expecting "salt buff" to look entirely like

an imitation ash glaze.  It looks so "ashy" I almost believe the wrong label was put on my bottle.

Does anybody else get this effect with PC-60 Salt Buff?

post-58857-0-98576600-1412370246_thumb.jpg

post-58857-0-98576600-1412370246_thumb.jpg

2 uneven coats

Bisque fired at cone 05 electric

Glaze fired at cone 6 electric

Not sure about the schedule - I just use the easy fire buttons on the kiln master.   In this instance, it's a slow glaze firing.

We don't use a special ramping schedule, hold, or slow cooling.

I started off (when firing at home) by using the PC range, but mostly mix my own glazes now.

I don't think I ever really understood "two uneven coats", having spent time perfecting three (or four) nice even coats of glazes like Blue Rutile, Ironstone etc.  Oilspot is one that never really worked for me, it's just a brown glaze.

This below is probably my best result with the Salt Buff, I can't tell you now how many coats it had or how even/uneven they were, (I may be able to find the info in my notebook., I'll have a look next time I'm out in the garagio).

Saltbuff1_zpsa335ff81.jpgSaltbuff2_zpsc6ed9ab3.jpg

Thinking back, there have been several discussions about the PC range, it seems to produce mixed results, they work for some and not others,  I think the best way with the PC range is to find which glazes  work for you and stick with them, I doubt I'll be trying any new ones once I've used up what I have - (could take a while, they're just clogging up the shelf at the moment), Hmmmm!

The photos posted seem to all be the same glaze. I guess you've got a fake ash glaze there. If you look HERE you'll see that some folks get it to come out more evenly, and for others it rivulets. I think maybe the folks at Amaco haven't done any salt glazing in a while, because it doesn't look anything like salt glaze.

I'm actually a fan of Potters Choice Temmoku but then I've never done cone 10 reduction. I like its mottled brown variations on the inside of boxes with a white exterior and transfer image. The dark brown color really compliments the brown transfer. I've tried the Salt Buff and only really like it as a 2nd glaze in combination with Firebrick. I do think Salt Buff only looks decent over a heavily textured surface otherwise to me it just looks like a badly applied glaze with unfortunate runs (this is my opinion only but then I tend to be a bit of a control freak). I am thinking of trying it thinned down a lot and put on thinly as in only 1 solid coat with the 2nd coat being dashed on randomly here and there and see what happens. I've got a whole pint so figure I might as well experiment and see what happens.

My favorite Potters Choice glazes:

#1 Blue Rutile

#2 Tenmoku

#3 Firebrick

#4 Albany Slip

#5 Indigo Float

I REALLY WANT palladium to work but I can't seem to get it to fire without pinholing or running horribly. I'm not sure it's a glaze that likes Little Loafers but it could just be me.

Terry

Blue Rutile is the #1 interesting and dramatic Amaco glaze for me as well, brown clays & glazes also essential for the primal look that I crave to create.  Amaco oil spot is an awesome brown glaze; I find that a ramp down stabilizes pinholing in that one. It seems to be designed to pinhole but I like it on interior surfaces.  if only those glazes weren't so expensive.  I'll have to cheap out & use my own glazes in production soon, saving hugely though it's been a great run lately with amaco & mayco products. Not looking forward to probably having to send glazes and ware out to test.

With Old Lady especially when there are tried and true glaze recipes for all temps in many sources, like cooking from a recipe book, if you know how to fire a kiln, instead of picking stuff up from freezer in super market, just need to test which you obviously have to do with the store bought ones.  Busy art teachers exempt form this comment.

Archived