Gas Kiln Firing

I have a new to me, Olympic gas kiln, 1827. I fired it once and the burners ignited, but after awhile the flame undernearth started coming out, sort of licking the left burner and upwards. i fired it and was worried the whole time. I tried adjusting the vents, but the flame still was comiing out. I got it t cone 5 and shut it off. What am I doing? I hav the manual, but it didn't really address the whole process from the lighting to keeping the flame even etc... i am new at gas, electric was my way, but want to branch out. thanks Linda

I have a new to me, Olympic gas kiln, 1827. I fired it once and the burners ignited, but after awhile the flame undernearth started coming out, sort of licking the left burner and upwards. i fired it and was worried the whole time. I tried adjusting the vents, but the flame still was comiing out. I got it t cone 5 and shut it off. What am I doing? I hav the manual, but it didn't really address the whole process from the lighting to keeping the flame even etc... i am new at gas, electric was my way, but want to branch out. thanks Linda

You might try and find someone nearby who also fires the Olympic 1827 and get some advice, notes, etc., especially since you are new to gas firing. It might be a way to watch someone fire their kiln and you can see how they do the firing and firing program. Also, you can google the kiln model and pick up postings from others -- here is one I found http://clayarts.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=1263586 You can also call tech support at Olympic and they might be able to help. You mentioned that the kiln was new to you -- in its previous life, did it fire propane or natural gas? That would make a difference in the size of the holes the gas uses.

This might be, as Marcia suggested, a matter of something falling in the path of the flame. The placement of the bottom shelf or the bricks that support it are of interest.

Or perhaps, the flue vent is too small, so you are getting back pressure. You can enlarge that hole (this is updraft, no) or try adding a section of stove pipe on top of the flue hole as a chimney to create more draw.

Or...You have too much gas, or too little air in relation to the gas, causing a reducing flame that will look around in search of oxygen. If you made it to cone 5, perhaps it is not a problem and you can get all the way with minor adjustments. For what temp are you aiming?

Not sure but I think Linda said it was licking the left burner...which I think means there is a problem with only one burner. If so, could be a dirty orifice, a blockage inside, primary air not adjusted properly,

I think if the other burner is working ok, then it should be the right size orifice for the fuel..

The idea of finding someone is great. Always good to learn from someone with experience.

(welcome to the forum Judy!)

Marcia

Archived