Found A New Tool

I use balloon catheters to dip berry bowls. Insert the cath into the hole. Inflate the balloon. The balloon expands, fitting tightly in the hole, and secures the bowl so I can dip it into the glaze. The balloon is deflated afterwards.

Any urine balloon catheters will work. I like using a small catheter used to remove foreign bodies from the nose (see image). I could order some if anyone were interested.

Jed

I also struggle with glazing pieces with holes (some of my favourite forms!) - can't pour, as the glaze dribbles through the holes, then runs and collects in thick drips! Similarly dipping.

I would still dip and make a quick dip, virtually 0 count hold.  This should minimize the glaze thickness.  IF it needs to be thicker than dip a second time.   Any thick drips are easly scrapped to the same thickness once dry.  Even if you scrapped all the way to the surface to remove the thick drips,  you could quickly patch those small areas by brush and still wind up with a more uniform glaze that looks better when dipped than brushed.

Tried the quick dip, then tidied up when dry. Kiln cooling now - fingers crossed!

Archived