Sealing Leaky Cup

This is probably a John b?

First it's vitrified.

It's wood fired with some grog.

I think this clay is mostly laguna 900, or possibly a mutt mix of wood fired clays. Looks a bit bizen like. Picture to follow.

While it's not hagi ware. I understand that if a piece of hagi-yaki piece continues to leak there are remedies. Like the starch or rice gruel treatments

I had/ have beer in mind with this piece

What is your technique / recipe for sealing

I'll make more but it's a 2 to 6 month turn around time for for me to get woodfired pieces back. And I'm interested in the japanese way to seal even though it's not hagi ware.

It wood fired. It more so seeps than full on leaks. By the time I finished the beer the coaster was not fully wet.

It's laguna #900 the cone pack I saw cone 11 was down. Not sure where my cup was in kiln. Or where cone pack was. No crack but I haven't looked with magnification. I know the the grog, granite chunks. can cause small cracks in woodfire. This piece has some grog in it, not aggressive amount. Didn't see any iron spots on bottom. 3 other cups are holding water, less to no grog. I was told it was a shorter firing. And lack of, very little natural ash glaze on some pieces also proves it. Was a shorter firing, well known clay body. So I doubt it's a cristabolite issue

Archived