Dishwasher Safe Markers?

So I'm making plate trophies for an event.  Due to my lack of work with decals, I want to write each event name on the back.  There are 23 different events, and I dont have the means to print out 2 of every one if I mess up.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

When I write on the back of my ware, I use underglaze, underglaze pencil, colored slip, or an iron oxide/rutile wash.

Practice up your brushwork before you do your trophy pieces, though! (It takes me a while to get my brush strokes right, and to get a feel for loading the brush to the right degree.)

(Disclaimer: I am still a beginner. I am simply telling you what I have had experience with. I have no idea what the best option for you is.)

Stellaria has it right. That would be the way I would do it. However, you will want to play with your underglaze consistency if brushing on. A little water sometimes will help smooth the stroke of the brush. There are underglaze pens out there that would work also.

Thanks for the responses....I'm guessing underglaze doesnt stick to the shelves cause it doesnt have flux?  I have never worked with it before.  With my project, I am working cone 6 and adding decals, so I really dont want to fire to 3 different cone temperatures so I don't think that will work for me.  Just want to write something on the back and dont care too much if its permanent, but that would be a plus.

Doesn't stick, and I've had mine fired to both ^04 and ^6 (single fire) to permanence with underglazes, slip, and iron oxide/rutile. So there would be no extra steps involved. The stuff can be painted right onto leatherhard clay if you need to. Or greenware or bisque. Whatever. It's super-forgiving stuff, all of it.

Underglazes can stick a little, as they do have something (flux?) that helps them adhere to the ware, that a basic slip doesn't have.

I should also note, that underglazes give off a bit of their color onto, whatever they are in contact with. It's why my classroom kiln shelves have a bunch of dark blue circles, from the underglazed footrings of numerous wares.

A ceramic pencil might be the best bet in this situation. I use the dark brown for marking test tiles, doesn't transfer to shelves at ^7 and doesn't stick at all. Would be the easiest to print with also. I have found quite a few of the underglazes do fume the surrounding area and some can flux even at ^04. From your other thread on single firing, do you have time to do a bisque? If you haven't done any tests with single firing with the glazes you are taking a big risk. Also, it would be easier if you use a ceramic pencil on bisque than on greenware. 

Archived