Firing Pictures

I've been wanting to make a piece but I'm not sure how to do it. I can't draw what I need so I want to put a specific print on the piece either during the first firing, or just under the glaze.

If there is a way to do this so the ink will not burn off or change color, even if I have to order the picture online or from a specialty store please tell me how. If there is a video you know of thats even better.

If you're not clear exactly what I mean then contact me and I will explain.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but just in case check out the forum called Aesthetics, discussion New Factory first post encourages you to read an article from Ceramics Monthly. In the post Article is bold click on it and read the article. At the bottom of the article is a link that will take to someone who is working with digital images on clay than firing the work. Hope this is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but just in case check out the forum called Aesthetics, discussion New Factory first post encourages you to read an article from Ceramics Monthly. In the post Article is bold click on it and read the article. At the bottom of the article is a link that will take to someone who is working with digital images on clay than firing the work. Hope this is helpful.

Thank you I think this is exactly what I want.

OOH, I am so excited!

You probably want to try toner decals - you print on decal paper using a laser printer or copier and slide them onto an already glazed and fired pot. Then you fire it again to make the toner (iron oxide) melt into the glaze and become permanent.

There is a section on my blog that covers this: http://blog.mudstuffing.com/

• DecalPaper.com - source for decal paper (they say not to fire with it, but it’s a ok in my book)
  • I use a HP 1020 Black and White Laser Printer… (the older the HP laser printer the better, some laser printers don't work, so test different brands)
  • Decals over Cone 10 glazes - fire to cone 04-6
  • Decals over Cone 6 glazes - fire to cone 04-1
  • Decals over Cone 05 glazes - fire to cone 012 (haven’t actually done it yet though…)
  • Other resources:
    Commercial Ceramic Decals
    Linda Arbuckle’s Laser Print Decals Handout (PDF)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived