Thanks for all the input everyone. You are so helpful! The mop sounds like the way to go for the floor.  Are we talking about a sponge mop or the cloth type that school custodians use?  What does a squeegee for a floor look like?  I'm not sure I've seen one.  

I think I'll go with the formica table top.  I was going to try cement board (the type for tiling) for the wedging table.  Is Hardie board the same as cement board? 

I've seen a commercial bucket system for sink drainage. But if the Gleco trap works I'll probably go with that.  My problem is my pipe at the wall is kind of high.  I have to make sure it will drain down to the wall end.  If necessary, I'll have to build a platform for the sink area.  Of course I'll prewash tools, etc in a bucket.  At my school I didn't have any trap or anything.  I put a plastic tray in it and the clay would sink to the bottom.  I'd empty the tray every so many days.  We didn't get any clogs just doing that.  But I don't want to take any chances with my plumbing.  It would be expensive to fix the pump that pumps the waste water out of the basement.  

Does anyone use a dehumidifier in their basement studio?  I use one now in the summer and think it might be a good idea if I'm not firing often. I live in New England and we have pretty humid summers.  It might help with drying pots.  

One other question-is there a particular type of faucet for the sink that will accept a hose?  

Nonni4

I've tried a LOT of mops and I find that the replaceable sponge mops are the best.  They hold up well and clean out easily.  The rope mop was a clay-caked disaster.  I got the floor squeegee from Home Depot or Lowes.  18 inch squeegee head on like a mop handle.

Also, on the dehumidifier thing, I use one sometimes, but it can dry stuff out FAST (including eyes and lips, haha). So if you leave it on and you're out of the studio for a day you can come back a pile of ware that's too dry to work with anymore.  :/

I always ran a dehumidifier in my basement studio during the humid summer months. It not only helped dry out pots, but it made the whole house more pleasant since we didn't have AC. If you can, have it drain into a floor drain so you don't have to empty it all the time.

have it drain into a floor drain so you don't have to empty it all the time.

IF your basement has a sump pump that never runs... drain it into that.  Then your sump gets a little exercise and hopefully youll notice its not working then as opposed to the spring flood.

Archived