Another Reglazing Question

tjbanjo

I'm pretty new to all of this and know next to nothing about glazing. I just follow the directions on the jars I get, for now.

Here's the situation:

I glazed a small cup with underglazes and a clear glaze and fired to cone 05. I actually did three pieces with the same glazes, which are all Amaco. Some of the glaze on the smallest piece seems to have burned off or soaked in or something, particularly around the rim and shoulder. The other two are fine.

Can I use the same glazes and reglaze the cup? Would it work to reapply the underglazes and the clear glaze, just like I did the first time? I wish that I had put more of the underglaze on initially, but at the time I thought that I had put a good amount on. The color is not bad, but could be a little better. If it wouldn't work or be too iffy to reapply the underglaze but not the clear, I could do just the clear, if that would work.

Also, what's the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Tjbanjo

Reglaze is doable, just warm up the piece and brush on the glaze. Go w/ a hot pot because the glazed cup won't absorb so the heat gets rid of the water.

Use an old brush , I use the kiln lid (firing) to warm up reifre and sometimes it can get really warm and brush starts smokin', always fun in the studio!

under glaze goes under, so wouldn't recommend applying on top of slightly slazed surface = special effects but not smoth surface. Good luck and have fun.

Most low fire, pre mixed glazes recommend 2-3 coats,some are fine w/ 2 , some need 3.

Experiment is the name of the game and keep notes.

Clayfully

Deb

Thanks, Deb! I'll try it. I hope I can get this one to turn out, I wanted to give it to a friend for his birthday.

And yes, I'm seeing that I need to start keeping notes. There are a host of variables in this stuff. But it sure is fun!

Bob

Archived