Strange Mug

So here's my problem

I unloaded my bisque fire and started glazing, its been awhile so i spent some time mixing my glazes. A friend requested a mug with her initial in a turquoise glaze (amaco PC glaze-textured turquoise). I did the inside with a cream and then the turquoise glaze seemed to run right off the mug and wasn't drying so i tried mixing the glaze more to no avail. I added some some more powdered glaze and mixed away. I dipped another piece, no problems there (so its not the glaze) did the mug again same thing-running off and not drying. Went and washed off all the glaze and did it again, same problem again.

So it has to be the clay or the kiln. This is maybe my 8th firing on my kiln. I don't remember where the mug was in the kiln but it was near other mugs and i don't pack my kiln or put pieces too close to the elements. The clay could have been reclaimed, but that means that other pieces in this load would have been too.

I plan on redoing the mug, that's not the issue (besides the fact she has to wait for another full load before it will done) but what the heck happened? I just don't want this to happen again.

I too have had a similar problem with some of my students.

It appeared they over polished the green piece causing the glaze not to adhere, and some had hand cream (oil) on their hands.

Which piece was first out of the kiln was it the mug in question and did you have anything on your hands which transfered to the mug?

Archived