I Need A Tutorial On Applying Iron Oxide To Bisqueware

I have never really learned how to use washes. I take classes at a community college and I've seen some cool stuff come out of the kiln. When i asked how they got that effect, they said they brush on the oxide, then wipe it so it only stays in the texture.

I have tried this several times on my pieces and can't seem to get it to stay in the texture. It all washes away when I wipe it. Is my texture not deep enough? Iron not thick enough? Wrong wiping tool (we just have sponges)? Too much water?

Tried google but didn't find much.

Two videos

Try varying how long you leave the oxide wash before wiping it off, and what you use to do the wiping.

Both of these can influence how much you remove, and the contrast between high and low areas.

Regards, Peter

Hi HBLB,

I have the same advice as the folks at the college, but with a couple additions.

-Brush or sponge it on thick. Don't cake it on, but apply liberally.

-Let it sit for a few. Allow the bisque time to absorb the water in your wash and for the iron to begin staining your piece.

-Wipe the wash away with a sponge, but make sure not to remove all the oxide. If you want the oxide to show up in the texture, make sure to leave some of it in the texture. Start with a clean sponge. Wring it out as much as possible... I've had the best luck using a sponge that is just the slightest bit damp. Rinse, wring, wipe, repeat as needed.

Good luck and post results!

Chris

Archived