A Nice Bulk Materials Scale

i have a precision scale i use formixing glazes, but have long looked for a decent scale for measuring pounds of plaster or glaze materials for big batches. For plaster I have been using a regular old fashioned  bathroom scale, which is adequate, but the 5 gallon bucket covers the numbers!

Digital  bathroom scalescan be  problematic for the same reason. Even if they have a readout that is not obscured,many of them shut off after a few seconds, so adding material while the bucket is sitting on the scale is frustrating. You have to lift the bucket and set it down again each time more material is added. And with some of them you cannot tare the scale, i.e. compensate for the weight of the bucket.

this hasn't been  a huge priority,( as i am use to my sad old scale where i have to lift the bucket to see the numbers). I've been hoping to run a cross either a fine old metal scale with  a balance beam style weight indicator (the old doctor office variety ) or a cast off from UPS  or something. haven't found that yet  but last week i was tickled to find this scale at a second hand store for $5 ,(a lot by second hand store standards, i know! :) )

not only can the bucket sit comfortable on it without hiding the numbers, but I can tare the scale (adjust for weight of the bucket ), AND the numbers are big enough to read while standing... woo hoo!

sometimes the small things make for a great day!

Stephani Stephenson
http://www.revivaltileworks.com

post-1602-0-27388800-1396037038_thumb.jpg

post-1602-0-27388800-1396037038_thumb.jpg

That looks like a great scale for a studio without much room I have seen them at estate sales next time I'm going to buy one.  Right now I use a digital scale that has a large bowl with it that I bought at a closeout store for mixing big batches of glaze. I use to have a baby scale from a doctors office but I put something too heavy on it and broke it.  Denice

I'm rural, so there aren't too many sources for stuff,(or major craigslist activity ) that aren't 60 miles away, so to find a bargain nearby, cheap, light and pretty accurate was great!!

i love those old platform scales and always hoped i'd run across one. on the other hand we used a big one when i worked at a RAM press studio, and i could barely move the thing. so now that i am in a smaller studio , weight  and size do matter!!!!

I have a large platform scale as in the above photo on platform scales. I use this outside for large over 60# shipments to UPS

I use a 1-60# scale in shop -its got a large dial (12 inch round) on front and flat top table on top-these are old and long gone but you can find them at antique stores sometimes. Mine was my mentors passed on as a gift.I use this for plaster and all clay measuring

I use digital ohaus and from amazon a larger capacity digital in glaze room and shipping .

Looks like I have about 6 scales or more now-oh well overkill again.

Mark

Archived