Porcelain And Slip Casting With Molds

hi all im doing my fine art honours at uni and i have a slip casting mold of a baby in 6 sererate parts, what I wanted to know is..can u use porcelain slip,

as when my mould are made and done, I have to join the pieces together before i can set them aside to dry before biscue

so is it possible to use porcelain slip and porcelain clay to join the pices together

or should i just stick with white earthenware

Sure it is possible, the only thing to think about is the different firing temperature that porcelain needs and its tendency to warp/distort.

I don't think the actual slip casting will be any different, maybe just drying times for the thickness you want and earthenware will probably be more forgiving when you attach these 6 different parts together.

You should definitely try the slip casting with porcelaine! Maybe you have a few trial and error moments at the beginning, but hey, that's life. We live and learn. Let it dry (after the joining together of the pieces) really good and maybe start the firing slow, so that the piece can dry up in the kiln some more. Good luck!

Evelyne

Most of the doll artists, with whom I worked, made their dolls with porcelain clay. They often cast thin. Typically the pieces weren't assembled before firing. (Usually they were assembled with cords, after firing, so the limbs were flexible.) 

Because the thin porcelain pieces were fragile most doll artists would fire them to 018 before cleaning the seams. As well, they would lightly sand the cheeks, with very fine sandpaper, to get a high sheen. (As the finished dolls were left unglazed.)

Hi there I made porcelain dolls for many years . mine were made from porcelain but be aware they shrink significantly when fired , if your making multiples then buy bells french bisque i warn you it is expensive. cast them but they do need to be hollow so wait 5/10 minutes then empty. if they don't easily flow out get a straw and blow gently into the mold and that will shift the excess wet slip. make holes at the top of the limps and holes in the body so you can string them together with cord elastic . thread cord through pull elastic quite taut then insert a cocktail stick with glue and push in tightly might need more then one cocktail stick make sure its secure and cut excess off. obviously these pieces need firing but must make holes when the clay is in greenware stage lol. alternatively you could use earthenware and can use flesh coloured paint. and you wouldn't get too much shrinkage , hope that helps good luck ...ann

hi all thanx for all ur help, im sticking to earthenware slip , the molds are 10 years old and now i find, i have to leave the slip in the bigger parts ( head and body) for a little longer as they were to thin, anyways thanx again

• 1 month later...

hi, i made a 6 part mold 10 years ago to use with slip casting, its a baby girl, life sized doll, but now I find the mold is falling apart and damaged, does anyone know where in th U S or australia I can buy a Full body, (includes torso of a femal real life baby mold to use with slip clay

as the person who made this for me has now passed away thanx

Archived