Searching For Discontinued Glaze - Help? Also Lead Questions

ashleigh_arts

Ashleigh, a source for more of the discontinued Jungle Jems is Dakota Potters Supply,  The often have several of the discontinued lines due having to order so much at a time for distributorship.  I cannot say if they have that particular one or not, but calling them may be worth a shot.  I know I have had fun playing with lots of old discontined products they have stashed away.

www.dakotapotters.com

Best of luck,

Chad

Ashleigh, a source for more of the discontinued Jungle Jems is Dakota Potters Supply,  The often have several of the discontinued lines due having to order so much at a time for distributorship.  I cannot say if they have that particular one or not, but calling them may be worth a shot.  I know I have had fun playing with lots of old discontined products they have stashed away.

www.dakotapotters.com

Best of luck,

Chad

Thank you very much! I will call when they open! :)

There is a difference between food safe and sanitary safe.

I'm a fan of glazes that often craze.

the clay underneath is vitrified in the pieces that I make.

The question is can crazed wares be made food safe with proper sanitary procedure, or convenient sanitary procedure in home and or commercial kitchen.

I can't tell you how many times I've been to restaurants and silver/table ware isin't physically clean. While it may have been through sanitizing solution, any physical residue is a fail.

Don't even get me started on cleanliness of glasses in hotel rooms.

A 180 F rinse cycle is acceptable or dilute bleach rinse are acceptable. Both of which I'd take over other chemical solutions.

If you really want to test for crazing write on a light colored piece with a sharpie, pause then wipe away surface before it dries.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your study John.

Ps. I drink from crazed pieces daily.

Guest JBaymore

The question is can crazed wares be made food safe with proper sanitary procedure, or convenient sanitary procedure in home and or commercial kitchen.

I can't tell you how many times I've been to restaurants and silver/table ware isin't physically clean. While it may have been through sanitizing solution, any physical residue is a fail.

A 180 F rinse cycle is acceptable or dilute bleach rinse are acceptable. Both of which I'd take over other chemical solutions.

If you really want to test for crazing write on a light colored piece with a sharpie, pause then wipe away surface before it dries.

I'm personally looking forward to having some hard data on this question.  But of course it won't apply to EVERY potential situiation of the useage of crazed pots.  But it will be a start.   It has taken a lot of work so far to get this study figured out to have some solid science behind it (luckily I'm a geek-ey kinda' guy B) ).

I (and my family) use crazed pots of all types daily, plates, bowls, cups, teapots, etc....and our family has for as long as I can remember.  Kids grew up with them.

Commercial food service use is one thing, home use is another.  Different beasts.

We'll see what the story is...............................................................

best,

............................john

I'm personally looking forward to having some hard data on this question.  But of course it won't apply to EVERY potential situiation of the useage of crazed pots.  But it will be a start.   It has taken a lot of work so far to get this study figured out to have some solid science behind it (luckily I'm a geek-ey kinda' guy B) ).

I (and my family) use crazed pots of all types daily, plates, bowls, cups, teapots, etc....and our family has for as long as I can remember.  Kids grew up with them.

Commercial food service use is one thing, home use is another.  Different beasts.

We'll see what the story is...............................................................

best,

............................john

Who would have guessed???

WHIch way are you going with this study?

Types of foodstuffs placed in crazed ware, or comparison of crazed wares, washing procedures/

God how do you narrow the field?

As Big Lou says, the sanitization is an issue in crazed and non crazed ware. 

local bugs as to new to the person bugs also would play a part..

Love to read your results

I started out making/using earthenware.  One day one of my kids left a bowl in the bottom of the sink before we left town for two days.  Upon return the bottom of the pot had grown a nice culture of mold.  I have my earthen ware and still use it, I'm just very careful with it.  I now use/make stone ware.  I constantly am checking for vitrification. 

I REALLY like the work of Fongchoo.  I'm wondering if most of his tea pots are decorative vs functional.  Some of those spouts look pretty drippy.

Archived