Sign in to follow this  
AWPottery

Adding Mason Stains To Terra Sig

I was told you could add some mason stains to terra sig as a colorant.  I was just wondering how much colorant you add to it.    I want to only test it on maybe one or two pieces first before I commit to making a big batch.  Any suggestions on ratios of terra sig to colorant?  Or does it depend on the colorant?  I was thinking of maybe a turquoise or purple.

Try about 10% mason stain to terra sig (dry weight) is a common starting point.  Or, I generally add 1/4 cup to 2 cups liquid terra sig.  Color density will vary depending on the stain.  You do reach a saturation point where adding more mason stain will not make the color brighter or richer. 

I put a cup of TS in a small jar and add mason stain, generally 1/2 tsp or so, depending on what I want it to look like. The stains quickly settle out, requiring frequent stirring doing use. I stick three very thin bamboo skewers in the jar while I am using it and just upset them to stir.

This may help you in the future, it's not specifically about mason stains, but it may help: http://www.kazegamas.com/terra-sigilattas.htm

I have to original CM article with these from 25+ years ago. Good information.

When I add mason stains to terra sig, i use a blender to mis it. Then sieve it.

I sometimes spray this onto the piece.

Marcia