...any road, I've been throwing, finishing, and firing pots for a bit less than two years - not full time; a full time pro might call what I'm doing "hobby potting," hence hobby potter. I'm ok with that.

While skill, practice, technique, planning, testing, knowledge are certainly involved, I'm aiming for functional; I'm not calling my work art or myself an artist ("art" is involved, however).

My undergraduate degree was (past tense, yep; I'm retired!) in English, literature concentration. In letters, it may be that "what is art" is less of contentious topic - less of a topic at all - it's fairly clear, almost simple, really. Others may argue, if they wish.

Like Tarheeler above, I'm a craftsman, tradesman, artisan, potter...farmer, photographer, plumber, electrician, carpenter, painter... and on a number of occasions I've been dubbed "Renaissance Man"...I can go with any of them or all of them...and now that I'm "retired" I can be any of them or all of them...whatever floats your boat... 

I have always preferred ceramist, when I have to choose, because it is rooted in the 10,000 BCE/BC  years of humans making thing of clay. It is simple and to the point.  However, the word is not terribly familiar to the general public, compared to, for example, potter. I have also used clay artist, as a more contemporary term. I like that it is vague enough, without being as mysterious as ceramist (or ceramicist), to not paint me into a corner, such as "potter" would.   

"Title(s)" seems synthetic to me. The terms we use to identify ourselves as people who work in clay,  to my mind, are  just descriptors that serve the purpose of providing others with an approachable entry point to our activity and output.   A title for what we do, which is likely to be commingled with "who" we are, is fairly essential for communication and interaction in today's markets, whether as a hobby or as a career/profession, whether for profit or not, and even whether inferior or of exquisite quality.

Archived