How To Make An Oxygen Sensor For Your Kiln.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the very helpful information and images. I'm planning on firing a small Bailey gas kiln (cone 10) soon and will be reduction cooling it, so I am primarily interested in keeping track of the atmosphere as the kiln cools. One burner will be on low and the other other burner port will be bricked up. The damper will be all the way in. I'm aiming to keep it in reduction until about 1600F.

Two quick questions:

1. You mentioned removing the sensor as soon as temp is reached. Do you forsee any problems leaving it in as the kiln cools - the whole reason that I'm using it is to keep the kiln in reduction down to 1600. Would it be too much thermal shock to the unit to insert it at the end of the firing?

I do not remove the sensor,  I just cover the outlet port to reduce  flow through the kiln after shut off, should be no problem to leave the sensor working until total shutdown.

2. I'm going to be renting a kiln at a local craft school and will not be able to drill a whole in the back wall. Do you see any problem with inserting it through one of the spies, as long as i make sure that it is airtight? I will have the other one plugged up completely once the cones are down.

Should work OK in the upper peep hole.

thanks again!

• 2 years later...

Would it work the same installing it in a down draft Kiln at the top of the chimney?

I did this years ago, and now reading your post I’m wondering if your design would be more accurate?  My readings would jump up and down and I would have to average them and take the middle number.    

I am hoping your designe would be an improvement.

Also go to a car junkyard and pull a few oxy probes for less $$.

On 12/8/2016 at 9:54 PM, docweathers said:

Here is one that I built a couple years ago for my Olympus updraft kiln. It uses a Ford oximeter.  It seems to work quite well and is very simple. The whole thing can be lifted off when I'm ready to open kiln.

post-6406-0-57995900-1481255724_thumb.jpg

post-6406-0-57995900-1481255724_thumb.jpg

Your design has been the one of choice over the years. Calibration, cleaning always an issue. Augmented by sight and experience it seems to work ok. I prefer the oxyprobe, 800 bucks or less  as I just buy the probe and hook to my PLC  controls or multi meter. Expensive but relatively dependable and repeatable. The PLC provides a nice graphic display  and looks cool.

Archived