Problem With Glaze Application

AWPottery

.  if you are using the glaze on bisque, dipping the entire pot quickly into a bucket of clean water a few minutes before you start to brush will prevent that grabbing by the pot.  think thirsty person in a desert when offered water.

(did not intend the italics)

As above: damping the pots helps, but I've always felt that that method is only suitable for a first coat, most brush-on glazes will need three or four coats.

A standard dipping/pouring glaze can be converted to a brush on glaze with the addition of some CMC gum: the gum helps to prevent the water from being sucked instantly from the glaze as you brush it on.

I make a pint of gum solution by adding 5mg of CMC to a pint of hot water, stir it well, (a balloon whisk is good for this), let it stand overnight, then add a small amount to your glaze - about a teaspoonful will have quite an effect on 100ml of glaze.

I've heard  that it's not a good idea to treat a whole bucketful of glaze because bacteria will eat the gum in time, (I add a small amount of disinfectant or bleach to the original mix to help prevent this).

Edit: I actually use a product called Tylose, it is CMC, but it's sold in the cooking/home baking section of most supermarkets (for thickening icing, or something like that, I think).

Archived