Making A Black Porcelain Slip With Stain

I want to make a black porcelain slip using mason stain.

I bought a small bag (1/4lb) of Best Black 6600 Mason stain and mixed it my slip (less than 1 gallon).

I contacted Mason to ask how much of the stain I should use but they are not really helpful...

anyway the result it a light gray, I wonder if it's going to get darker after firing.

anyone got experience making a black slip and knows how much stain I should use for 1 gallon ?

I just dont understand the logic... yes 1lb is 16 oz, but I don't understand the maths here

6 % of 10lb is about 10z and 8% of 10lb is 13 oz so your math is right even if I don't get it haha

I just found out this page: http://shop.clay-planet.com/stains.aspx

it says "Black, being total color saturation, requires at least a 10% addition, usually higher to avoid grey"

have you tried 10% ? do you think it's too much from your own experience ?

10 lbs x 16 oz = 160 oz ... so approx 10 oz - 13 oz.

I believe she converted from ounces to pounds because ounces are better/easier for measuring small quantities.

(10pounds) * (16 oz / pound) = 160 oz.

8% of 160oz = 12.8 oz.

Which is easier (for me at least) than saying 0.8 lbs. It's hard to measure out 0.8 lbs on a scale.

It's just a matter of preference.

anyway the result it a light gray, I wonder if it's going to get darker after firing.

Mine does: 10% mason stain (6657 I think is what I have).

It's actually a more solid black than the pic shows, the speckly look is something the camera has picked up, iy doesn't look like that in the flesh.

post-7271-0-32046500-1384555033_thumb.jpgpost-7271-0-76148400-1384555062_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-32046500-1384555033_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-76148400-1384555062_thumb.jpg

I just dont understand the logic... yes 1lb is 16 oz, but I don't understand the maths here

6 % of 10lb is about 10z and 8% of 10lb is 13 oz so your math is right even if I don't get it haha

I just found out this page: http://shop.clay-planet.com/stains.aspx

it says "Black, being total color saturation, requires at least a 10% addition, usually higher to avoid grey"[/size]

have you tried 10% ? do you think it's too much from your own experience ?[/size]

10 lbs x 16 oz = 160 oz ... so approx 10 oz - 13 oz.

I would say that it is really not that big a difference in cost to be sure you get what you want ... So go with 10% and be sure ... Also the math is easier!

Could you just use black underglaze? It's really black , not spendy and readily available.

Let's compare prices:

Black stain is roughly $15 per pound, so a 10 pound (dry) batch of slip at 10% stain would cost you $15 in stain plus the price of the slip itself, which could be 50 cents per pound for porcelain, so another $5, which puts the whole batch at $20. Speedball black underglaze (which I use), one of the least expensive out there, is about $10 per pint, so you could buy 2 pints for the same $20. It comes very thick and needs to be watered down, so you could actually get at least 3 pints out of it. So 3 pints (conservatively) of underglaze for $20. How much slip does 10 pounds of dry porcelain make? Anyone?

I do agree that using underglaze is an option, depending on what you need it for. But I think for most applications it can be used just fine in place of slip. It can be applied to leather hard, bone dry or bisque, unlike slip. I get a lot of customers asking me about making colored slips with stains, and once I explain what it takes to makes it, with the weighing and mixing and testing and all, they are not excited to do it. I then recommend underglazes and they are happy.

"I get a lot of customers asking me about making colored slips with stains, and once I explain what it takes to makes it, with the weighing and mixing and testing and all, they are not excited to do it. I then recommend underglazes and they are happy."

Hmmm .... I can see I need to have a colored clay & slips workshop in your area! :D :lol:

• 6 years later...
On 11/15/2013 at 9:08 PM, mregecko said:

I believe she converted from ounces to pounds because ounces are better/easier for measuring small quantities.

(10pounds) * (16 oz / pound) = 160 oz.

8% of 160oz = 12.8 oz.

Which is easier (for me at least) than saying 0.8 lbs. It's hard to measure out 0.8 lbs on a scale.

It's just a matter of preference.

so much easier in grams