White Glaze Too Shiny

Celia UK

I have some glossy, white zirconium glaze (fires at 1030 - 1120 degrees c). It is too white, and too glossy for my purposes. Can anyone suggest any additions that would tone it down a bit, in one or both respects?

I am using studio white earthenware and fire to cone 04 in my small electric kiln. The attached photo shows the finish. Many thanks.

post-13648-0-55280300-1381775029_thumb.jpg

post-13648-0-55280300-1381775029_thumb.jpg

In my first successful attempt to matte down a glaze I was instructed to make it less mature/glassy.

I,was instructed to increase refractory percentage in glaze. So at given cone the glass would be less mature and/or glassy. This glaze included epk which was the most refractory in recipe at the cost of other ingredients. For example raise epk by 5 percent, lower remaining ingredients proportionally to equal 5 percent.........

This worked for given body. But when combined with glazes or other clay bodies with fluxing ingredients it became glassy and shiny again. For that situation the epk % was raised again.

Ok this is with simple glaze. I sure there will be many complicating factors when you post recipe.

I didn't realise this was such a tricky business! I have no idea of the recipe as this is a premixed powder glaze. I naively thought there might exist 1 or more basic glaze ingredients that are known to reduce glossiness / whiteness. I do appreciate that glaze chemistry is a complex subject and I fear I do not have the capacity to get my head round all the technicalities. I may just have to ask the technician at the suppliers before I buy small test quantities. Thanks for replying!

I've only just started delving into glaze making myself, with my teacher at the local pottery studio. Although I can make them, I can follow the recipes, I have no clue as to what each ingredient does. I'm just starting to figure out what the colorants do! So I completely understand where you are coming from. I don't really see me ever learning such complex things about each glaze ingredient. I prefer to follow a recipe, and if it doesn't work, move on, lol. I made 3 from new recipes recently, and I've had trouble with each one. It's sooooo frustrating! None of them came out the same as the test batch :(

If you buy all your glazes and definitely don't want to deal with all the technicalities of ingredients, I'd suggest finding a matte white pre-mixed glaze to buy. Save this shiny one for another project ;o)  Like you said, maybe you can either call or email with the company and tell them exactly what you need and see if they can tell you what to buy! Good luck :)

Archived