Kissing Pots...

Ugh- I had my first "kissing incident".  The leaf broke off during bisque.. so I rested it in there and someone must have bumped or slammed something in the garage to cause it to tip into the other half.  They are fragile so I have to find something to separate them carefully. 

Can someone offer me advice? 

I have never made any "sculptural work" so I put a lot of time into this. 

post-19612-0-19756900-1381763750_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-32699900-1381763768_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-19756900-1381763750_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-32699900-1381763768_thumb.jpg

Since you might have to touch up the seperated pieces and fire them again, I would not cut them apart. I would fire them again with a small piece of clay underneath the corner of the pot closest to the join. Just enough so that when the glaze melts the pot tips away from the join and frees both of them.

Since you might have to touch up the seperated pieces and fire them again, I would not cut them apart. I would fire them again with a small piece of clay underneath the corner of the pot closest to the join. Just enough so that when the glaze melts the pot tips away from the join and frees both of them.

This is a great idea.

Mark

I thought I posted this but it is not here... Maybe I forgot to hit post.

I went out today to get a dremel tool and a diamond tip. The tip didn't fit on the model i picked up so I was packing up to take it back as my 13 yr old daughter picked it up by the base.  They snapped apart. So now I have a new problem.   Should i still use the diamond tip to take this off and smooth it out or is there something else I should do?   The lid doesn't fit as well as I want it too.. and the piece sticking up keeps it from going on strait.  I have never re fired anything but while I am at it, is there something I can do about the pinholing and the parts that need heavier application or is it too vitrified to address those issues too?  Here it is 

post-19612-0-14147300-1381797895_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-42339200-1381797922_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-14147300-1381797895_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-42339200-1381797922_thumb.jpg

You can use the Dremel to smooth the edge of the leaf; same for the shard that is on the body of the pineapple. If you choose to refire, then clean the spots well to remove fine dust and apply your glaze. Your clay body is likely vitrified, so it may take some patience to get the glaze to stick and dry. Try warming the area with a hair dryer or paint remover heat gun first. Refiring will not likely help on the pinholes; reapplying glaze to cover thin spots will likely take more time than it is worth. And, if you refire, allow for some extra space between the two -- while the kiss may have resulted from the kiln being bumped, it could also have happened because the stalk relaxed during firing.

Grind smooth the rough spots-clean them and heat work however you want to warm it-apply glaze let dry -apply glaze again.You can also gring down lid now to fit better-same deal with glazing the grind marks.

as far as the pinholes you can put glaze in them. Refire the piece and leave plenty room around it for expansion and warpage.

Mark

Ok so here is the dilemma -

After Bisque firing two of the leaves broke off.  They were resting in between other leaves when they were in the glaze firing.  The reason it was on the base is because it must have bumped.  I fear that if the glaze re heats and melts, there will be nothing holding that broken leaf up.. and it will just fall off.  I was counting on the glaze to seal it on. 

If you do not need it to be waterproof and don't intend to sell it, I recommend using a Dremel to grind off any excess. Then use acrylic paint to make color repairs. After the color is the way you want it, put one or two coats of clear nail polish over the acrylic paint to add gloss. No one but you will ever notice it.

Archived