Shimpo Wheel Starts Making A Shirking Noise,

rtl

I have decided to get a little cranky on behalf of the infinitly patient potters who constantly answer questions on this forum.  I was thinking to myself that this questioner, who by the way delcines to even give a gender, is going to be politely asked for more information.  And, sure enough, Mark politely asked just that.

Would you, or any of the other minimalists out there  (and there seems to have been a rash of them lately)  walk into an auto repair shop...where they don't know you...and ask, Hey, I've got a ford at home and it's making a funny noise.  What is it and what should I do?

If questioner want help, they should try and be helpful.  Give lot's of information.

OK, I'm done being cranky.  Back to being cheerful and deliriously happpy.

Doris.

I was smiling reading your answer, Doris ... I realize how absurd my question was, but to you it should show how novice I am when it comes to communicating in Forms ... the wheel made noise and I freaked ... since then I kept working and after 10 minutes it stops 'shirking'.

Thanks for your all immediate responses ...

They often make a noise that is easy to fix: take off the head: if you see a round metal cover that the shaft goes through: slip  take that off, put a little grease on it, or if you don't have any: use your finger to pick up a little grease from the bearings there and rub it on the underside of that disc. It doesn't take much.

When that disc gets a little dry, it spins with the head rotation and rubs there: common shimpo squeak even on new ones,

• 2 years later...

They often make a noise that is easy to fix: take off the head: if you see a round metal cover that the shaft goes through: slip  take that off, put a little grease on it, or if you don't have any: use your finger to pick up a little grease from the bearings there and rub it on the underside of that disc. It doesn't take much.

When that disc gets a little dry, it spins with the head rotation and rubs there: common shimpo squeak even on new ones,

Thanks for this- I was searching this forum for a very similar problem. Off to fix my wheel squeak now! :-D 

• 4 years later...
On 9/16/2013 at 7:19 AM, timbo_heff said:

Thank you ! I too was searching for an answer for my squeaky Shimpo.  Now I dont have to feel intimidated to ask the question! :)

Archived