Have You Ever Turned A Pot Upside Down To Inspect It Without Checking To See What Was In It First? Tell Us About It! | September 11, 2013

Oh, yes. I was visiting the home of a potter friend for the first time. I picked up a large vase and flipped it over. Unfortunately, it was full of driveway salt.

An even better story was the time I saw someone flip over a candlestick to inspect the bottom. It was actually holding a lit candle which set the tablecloth on fire.

Yea, been there done that. As a beginning student I went to buy some supplies and on the counter was a coffee mug. Yea, you guessed it, full of coffee and over she went.

What gets me is that people come into my shop or at a show and these folks know nothing about anything pottery and look at the bottom of a piece then get a  a dumb look on their faces as if there was going to be a message from God under there, that's not there.

Wyndham

I did this today.  Our church has a small thrift shop where we sell donated items very cheap then give the money to local organizations such as the Food Pantry.  I was putting out items on a table and picked up a small cream pitcher.  " Now this doesn't look Chin....se" I could tell it was from a wood firing, beautiful glaze on top, and vertical markings of an oxide.  Being a curious potter I turned it over.  Two very distinct potters marks Gary Hatcher & Daphne R. Hatcher of Pine Mills Pottery which is about 25 miles west of me.   I went inside and started to scan all of the shelves in the kitchen ware room.  Yep, it was there the matching sugar bowl with spoon.  They both came home with me, I really admire Gary's work. 

it was not a what that was inside, it was a "Who".  who would put a person's ashes in a tiny fish?

Seriously???

During communion this morning, I had a driving desire to ask the pastor to hold the chalice up higher so I could see the signature.  I resisted the impulse...

Alice

Aren't the chalices metal?

• 1 month later...

Oh yes!.........Japanese restaurant in swish suburb of Sydney. 

Hot gensha tea was served at the table, so interested in the authentic looking pottery I 'forgot' the tea was served and tipped it all over the table and my brother- he shrieked as I tried to hide under the table in embarrasment!!

Explained to the waitress I was a potter and why I turned the cup over and she went to get the manager.......

.....but he came to the table with several other pieces utterly delighted that a customer had noticed his family's pottery work!

Told me he wanted to provide the most authentic Japanese food experience and that his family in Japan made all his crockery and sent them here to Sydney, Australia for the restaurant so that customers could eat from authentic handmade dishes and not factory made.

15 minute lively pottery conversation + another cup and pot of tea and all was very well again......but have ALWAYS checked since!

Irene

I posted this once before, and it didn't take for some reason, so will try again.

Some years ago, I was on a road trip to Minneapolis,which is 500 miles Southeast from where I live.

My buddy and I went into a restaurent for breakfast. We were going to order French toast. I remember this because the menu said; "one slice of Texas toast."We normally eat 2or3 slices of French toast around here, so I thought I should make a double order. The waitress said;"Oh, no, sir. It's TEXAS TOAST." She said it like I was hearing impaired. I'm not, I'm Canadian, as everyone on this blog knows by now.

She said, "one order will be enough for you."

[Of course, now I am a sophisticated traveler. I have even BEEN to Texas. I don't think I had toast when I was there. I had rice and beans.]

While I was waiting for my order of Texas sized French toast to come, I saw this cute little jar by the napkins. I turned it over. It was full of mustard. It dumped all over the table.

Now
I have shown to everyone that I am a real hick. Don't know what Texas toast looks like and don't know where mustard comes from.

My buddy said to the waitress;"It's O.K., he's an artist. He does this kind of thing all the time."

She just rolled her eyes. The French toast was good, but I could have used another slice. Didn't ask.

Well lets not sit down to dinner TJR, could be messy.

YUou prob got points for not putting mustard on your toast.

In my defence, my soup was just about finished..

Is this type of behaviour considered more civilized than plate licking....

My flip upside down is truly stupid... It was my own box! I had made a lidded box with really nice feet it turned out very well I was pleased. I made another box at a later date and was thinking it needs feet I should use the same style I liked so much before. I walked over to the shelf to refresh my memory on just how they were formed and picked up the finished box turned it upside down and you got it off flew the lid. I now tape any lidded object in my studio just in case; you never know when one of those absent minded artistic types will wander through the studio.

Terry

My flip upside down is truly stupid... It was my own box! I had made a lidded box with really nice feet it turned out very well I was pleased. I made another box at a later date and was thinking it needs feet I should use the same style I liked so much before. I walked over to the shelf to refresh my memory on just how they were formed and picked up the finished box turned it upside down and you got it off flew the lid. I now tape any lidded object in my studio just in case; you never know when one of those absent minded artistic types will wander through the studio.

Terry

Do you have any mustard jars in your studio?

TJR.

Archived